Topic

Shorts/Material

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Shorts/Material

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Locale: CA Central Valley

I have never made my own gear and despite the abundance of shorts that are available none seem to fit my needs/wants being tall/skinny. I know a very good seamstress that is willing to make me some shorts but was unaware of what material to use of even wear to get it. I wanted the fabric to be relatively light weight however fairly durable, but won't be doing much if any off trail activities. What are most of the light shorts made out of today and where is a place I can score some.

Any help, ideas, or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i would think you'd want supplex. it's what most hiking pants/shorts are made of. think mountain hardware pack pant.

I order almost all my stuff from OWFINC.com

you could also use their solarweave fabric

http://www.owfinc.com/Fabrics/NylonWoven/Misc.Woven.asp#Taslan/Supplex

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

Will definitely check that out, thanks.

I thought after I posted that I guess I could travel to REI to check out what their shorts are made of, but would imagine that they are made of some weird combo that couldn't be ordered by itself.

Anyways, Thanks for the help.

David Erekson

@finallyme

Locale: Utah desert

I think if you look on the tags at REI all they say is "Nylon", which is pretty vague. Supplex or solarweave are what you are looking for.

Sean M
    BPL Member

@zvolen

I think if you look on the tags at REI all they say is "Nylon", which is pretty vague. Supplex or solarweave are what you are looking for.

Funny you should mention that as I went to REI this weekend to look and that is exactly what was said a simple generic "100 % Nylon". Anyways, I appreciate your help and will look further into those materials.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools