Topic

Big Agnes SL series… fast-fly is useless!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Big Agnes SL series… fast-fly is useless!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Gardner
    Spectator

@splproductions

I have an SL3 and just bought an SL2. One of the "nifty" features is the fast-fly option which BA touts as one of it's great capabilities. (It appealed to me when looking at it).

However, I feel like it is utterly useless. The fly does not extend far enough away from the footprint to keep rain from landing on it. While I haven't tried it out like this in a rainstorm, the SLIGHTEST amount of wind would blow it in, it would get on the silnylon, and puddle. So you say, I'll only bring this option if I absolutely know it's not going to rain. If it's "absolutely" not going to rain, why not sleep under the stars? You would really need a bivy in there to make sure your bag didn't get wet – and if you bring a bivy, you might as well just have brought the body of the tent. Does anyone have any experience with this?

BTW – I love the series – I'm just saying it's a pointless feature.

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

Also have Seedhouse 2(not the SL version)

Agree completely that the fast fly option is a bit lacking, and the coverage is even more so.

The footprint is barely big enough for 2 people to fit on!

cat morris

@catt

Locale: Alaska

I used the fast fly configuration of my SL1- no rain, but we were on a windy ocean point and the wind whipping under kept me a bit cold even in my 20 degree bag in 35 degree weather here in Alaska.

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

The Seedhouse isn't the only tent that has these shortcomings in the fast fly mode.

I have a SL3 which I bought to use in bug season which also goes with hot weather. Having a full mesh tent to protect from the bugs while being able to move around freely and get total ventilation from the heat is the benefit of this type of tent. Not the fast fly mode, IMHO.

I rig the fly, rolled up along the top pole with stakes already set, such that I can jump out of the tent should it rain, and have the fly deployed in 30 seconds.

Note that I live in Florida, bug season and hot weather are pretty much the conditions year round, so this is a perfect fit for the wife and me.

I also have a place in the White Mountains of New Hampshire (and will retire there if I live long enough). There, the SL3 is still a good bug season tent. But I love to camp in winter up there and I take my trusty Golite Hex3 which is lighter and the worry about snow loads is non-existent. My point is, each shelter has its place.

When it comes to the concept of fast fly mode on any tent, I have always thought; why not go with a tarp? It's lighter and serves the same function.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools