Topic

Hot weather – sleeping bag needed?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hot weather – sleeping bag needed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Does anyone bother taking a sleeping bag/quilt if the temps overnight are projected to be in the lower 70s?? Maybe just a silk bag liner?
    S.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I've slept in a hammock on the back porch in the summer and don't see any reason I couldn't do it on the trail. Also, at summer camps I just brought a sheet.

A silk liner sounds like a superb idea to me.

Adam

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

In both the Grand Canyon (low humidity) and Oklahoma (not so low humidity) I've used either an old Marmot sleeping bag liner or a sheet when temps are steadily 70F or higher at night.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

In the low 70s I found that want more than a silk liner… or even silk liner inside a DWR bivy. A fleece blanket or light quilt have worked for me. When it got into the 80s F at night a silk liner worked.

–mark

Michael Wands

@walksoftly

Locale: Piney Woods

A silk mummy liner and a square of mosquito netting are all I carry in the summer. No need for insulation in Texas.

Unless I'm going to sleep on sandy or rocky soil I also forgo the sleeping pad. An insulating pad also protects you from Hot Ground!!!!

Ernie Elkins

@earthdweller

Locale: North Carolina

I made a lightweight quilt from a fleece throw. I've considered trying a silk liner, but I prefer to play it safe and carry a bit more weight (my quilt weighs 12-13 oz). The quilt has proven to be very comfortable in temps in the low to mid 70's.

Jeff Boone
    BPL Member

@jnboone

When it's above 80 degrees at night I've had great success staying at home and using the air conditioner!!!

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

Might be overkill,

but a poncho liner? Kinda like the Integral designs poncho liner. Double duties as insulation and sleeping!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools