Topic

BPL Merino

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) BPL Merino

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

Has anyone besides George (thanks for the review!) tried out the new wool baselayers? I got my Icebreaker 260 long johns today and after weighing them am sending them right back! The BPL undies would save me 10oz. 10oz!

Art Sandt

@artsandt

With wool, weight = warmth. Sometimes lighter is better, other times it isn't. Having the right tool for the job is key. On the other hand, two 5 ounce merino shirts aren't going to be any less warm than one 10 ounce merino shirt… in fact they may even be warmer because of the fact that they are layered. Hmm… now that is interesting.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

Margaret,
    "Warmth=Weight" is an excellent assesment of merino clothing! The number 260 stands for the weight in grams per square meter. Therefore, a 260 g/m2 top will weight excaclty twice what a 130 g/m2 top of the same size and design will weigh. It will also be twice as warm! Think of that number as you would inches of loft for comparing down sleeping bags.

So, lighter, in this context, isn't necessarily better. It's more a question of which weight is appropriate for the conditions.

If I ever did an Appalachian Trail thru hike, my nickname would have to be, "Merino Man." I have a selection of just about every weight there is and grab the ones I need for the trip. If I expect a broad range of temperatures, I will bring two, a lighter one and a heavier one, and wear one of the other or, layer both. This gives me three different degrees of warmth for two articles of clothing.

I admit, as temperatures get extremely cold, the amount of merino and its associated weight really add up. That might be the time to go to thick fleece, maybe power-stretch or thermal fleece to save weight. But, you will also be adding bulk.

I do carry a synthetic insulated jacket w/hood such as a Patagonia Micro Puff for use in winter camp. But I do not hike in that. I am afraid it's not durable enough to handle the abrasion from pack straps, nor do I want to crush the insulation under the load of my pack, nor do I want to prespire into the jacket all day to find it soaked when I need it at rest in camp.

All this is merely personal preference but for me, I'll stick to the layered merino pretty far down the thermometer just because it feels great on me plus, I just don't like the bulk of fleece.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Art, now thats a interesting reasoning. You have reached in the heart of the matter. So if you dont care about durability then it may be better to carry multiple layer of lighter wool. Ofcourse the expense shoots up.

Margaret Snyder
    BPL Member

@jetcash

Locale: Southern Arizona

I'm gearing up for a PCT thruhike next year and think that the 260's would be overkill since I'll have my down jacket, raincoat and windshirt with me all the time as well. Surprisingly I was warm down to 13 degrees this spring in NM wearing capilene 1 pants, my hiking pants, a poly tee, armwarmers, a down jacket and my raincoat while in camp cooking and lounging. I think the BPL merino would be sufficient in the sierras and beyond based on this experience.

Any other opinions/advice?

Thanks,
    Margaret

Michael Skwarczek

@uberkatzen

Locale: Sudamerica

I figured to weigh in here as my first post in… two months!

I'm sold on a layered approach with Merino. I tested the strategy repeatedly this entire Winter in both the Sierra snows and Joshua Tree desert. My system comprised two Smartwool, lightweight base layers (one being the Shadow Hoodie) which took me down to 30F while active. I included a GoLite Ether windshirt as needed. And when inactive, I added an ID PLQ Jacket (essentially a BMW Cocoon 60) until temps dropped to about 18 before hitting the sack. At which point all of this moved into my sleep system.

While in JT, Winter day time temps rose into the 80's and my Shadow Hoodie carried the day. An added benefit of the merino is the 25'ish SPF protection.

I was continually impressed by the versatility of this system. It dialed in perfectly with my physiology and the conditions. And I think it's important to note: personal physiology is always the primary variable when weighing recommendations. Personally, I maintain a very consistent core temp which keeps me comfortable into the lows and spares me from overheating in the highs.

cheers,
    -Michael 'sawchuck'

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools