Topic

Snow levels in Desolation for the “Death March”?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Snow levels in Desolation for the “Death March”?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Dave T

@davet

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Here's early april from lake of the woods.
    I'll be going back on July 4th, if that's before your trip I'll give you an update…

pyramid

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Dave, I am interested in more info on this death march lol. I will be looking at your link in a few. My TRT trip looks like it wont happen till end of july so I keep planning more training runs. I was up at the silver fork of the american yesterday and took my daughter on her first hike(2 miles, she slept most of it) and there is no snow to report there. I think I was around 5-6 thousand feet. Snow looked patchy higher up from what I could see ahead of me. I might take a trip out there one of these days and explore, gas prices hold me back.

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

The meltoff's pretty advanced compared to a normal year. I went a few miles up Lyons Creek trail two weekends ago, and it's rare that the Wright's Lake and Icehouse roads are open for Memorial day, much less the trails clearing off (admittedly, the trail itself was a creek and not a trail).

We have had a lot of warm, sunny weather since then and now it's downright hot. The high basins and chutes are certainly still snowed in, but I imagine they're melting off quickly. It "helps" that we had the driest Sierra spring since recordkeeping began.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

i was just up to loch leven lakes – a hair under 7000 ft – and there is just a bit patchy snow in the shade at that elevation. my guess is above 8000 ft unless in full sun there'd still be a foot or two all over, so north facing & in the trees at 8k + i'd think be snowbound still

Jeff Cadorin
    BPL Member

@jeffcadorin-2

Locale: paper beats rock

Just read that link. I have yet to explore desolation in depth and though I might skip a peak or two that sounds like a great trip.

I attempted Mt. Shasta last weekend. Had a crampon malfunction that kept me from a summit attempt but I am very happy with my training so far. I was with my brother and his climbing buddy(Matt) from Denali last year. Anyways Matt did the high sierra last summer and is doing all he can to entice me into that region this summer as well. Personal reasons have me moving out of state at the end of summer and I guess im just trying to pack it all in now. It all comes down to work though. My family is here so I hope to visit every few months. Will probably move back eventually but its time to experience some different scenery. Sorry for the highjack Dave….If I head up again I will update any snow pack I experience.

Randy Brissey
    BPL Member

@rbrissey

Locale: Redondo Beach, CA

Hello,

I, too, am interested in the snow levels on the TRT. My plans are to start at Tahoe City and do a clockwise route. I keep checking the Tahoe Rim Trail website but their latest update is june 9th with most of the snow off off the section north of Tahoe City.

Governor Arnold says that we are in a low water year in California………

…full speed ahead, darn the mosquitos! Randy

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

True enough. The current PM2.5 particulate data show Placerville at the "very unhealthy" 200+ level, which is astonishingly bad. The high ozone is just an extra bonus.

Nearly 1,100 fires in California at present :-(

p.s. Eldorado National Forest should have up-to-date snow info: 530-622-5061

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

The Western States 100 has been canceled due to poor air quality, the first cancellation in 35 years.

It just ain't healthy out there.

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Hi Dave, I didn't forget. I'll post the shots over in Trip Reports, just to keep everything organized around here…

It wasn't too smokey.
    You should go for it.

Best.

– k

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools