Topic

GSMNP Southern AT, May 25-28, ’08

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports GSMNP Southern AT, May 25-28, ’08

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

Sleeps With Skunks and I decided to begin our honeymoon with a mild walk on the Appalachian Trail on the southern half of Great Smoky Mountains National Park, specifically from Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam.

We headed out from Nashville early Sunday morning, May 25, in two vehicles. After driving the twists and turns of the "Dragon's Tail on highway 129, we staged her car at Fontana Dam. We then headed through Bryson City and Cherokee and into the park, stepping off from Clingman's Dome parking lot at 4:30.

SWS

The day was sunny and the Memorial Day crowds at the observation tower were intense, so SWS and I headed down the AT without climbing up to the deck.

tower

From here, we enjoyed the occasional view from over 6000 feet, a real novelty east of the Mississippi.

me

We made good time over the 5 miles to Siler’s Bald, and enjoyed what little view remains there, all the way back to Clingman’s Dome.

Silers

When we arrived at Double Spring Shelter, the place looked like a tent city. There were at least 20 hikers there, and the place was so congested, I was thankful we had gotten our reservations for Siler’s Bald, a couple of miles further on.

As we arrived at Siler’s Bald Shelter, we were quite happy with the sunroofs and “front porches” added in recent years.

Siler

I was quite surprised at how many NOBO thru-hikers were still in the park, and we curled up to sleep with a couple playing a backpacking guitar and harmonica outside by a fire.

The next day, we slept in, enjoying the mere 5.4 mile day planned to Derrick Knob Shelter. Eventually, we were packed and ready to go, including our ever-present trail buddies, Dewey and Topper.

deweypack

En route, we spooked a mess of feral pigs, the cute cuddly kind, rather than the intimidating sharp-tusked Russian boar also found in the Smokies.

After a relatively easy walk, we found Derrick Knob to be another porched, sun-roofed shelter.

derrick

While many may dislike the crowded condition of shelters, this night provided excellent sleep as a storm blew in and pounded away on the tin and plexiglass roof.

plexiroof

The next morning, I arose early and began cooking breakfast and packing up while Dewey, Topper, and SWS slept in.

teddy nap

Despite the extra slumber, we were all on the trail under an overcast sky by about 8:40. We moved solidly despite the decent climbs up Briar Knob and later Thunderhead.

climb

SWS torqued her ankle somewhat and moved a bit more slowly. Still we were all quite happy once we arrived at the east peak of Thunderhead Mountain.

me

Even King Dewey and his minister of itinerant affairs (Topper) made themselves at home atop a throne cairn.

kingdewey

We then continued on and enjoyed the view from the western peak of Thunderhead, AKA Rockytop.

thunderhead

Rockytop

SWS’s ankle was really beginning to trouble her after the descent from Rocky Top, so I wrapped her ankle, settled her in, gathered water. and cooked an extra dinner for her lunch. Then I let her take an hour’s nap while she propped up her foot and let some pain killers kick in. When she awoke, she felt much better and we stepped off around 4:30 for the remaining 3 miles to Russell Field Shelter.

Along the way, in Spence Field, we ran into the boldest turkey I’ve ever seen in the backcountry. He never made any real effort to run from us.

turkey

At Russell Field, we seemed to have escaped the NOBO thru-hikers, and instead enjoyed the company of several SOBO section hikers. That night, we slept safe away from another significant round of storms.

SWS and I had already discussed doing a 13.5 mile day to Fontana Dam instead of the 8 miler originally planned to Birch Spring Gap and Campsite 113. When the rain was still coming down in the morning, we agreed to push for the “big day”. At 7:40, we stepped off into the misty morning.

mist

SWS relished the short food break at Mollie’s Ridge Shelter, the last for over 11 miles.

mollies

We made excellent time, arriving at Birch Spring just after noon. We ate, packed and prepared to walk the last 6 miles to the car (and showers as SWS often reminded me) at Fontana Dam. After the grunt up Shuckstack Mountain, we were disappointed that the fog and mist would prevent any views from the firetower, so we began the 2000 foot descent over the next 3 miles. Along the way, SWS’s feet got steadily sorer, while her ankle flared a bit as well. Even my left ankle, the victim of a stress fracture the previous summer, was a bit cranky. Still, we moved on down the way.

down

At one point, I heard SWS’s sternum strap whistle twitter. I turned back and heard her mumbling in the distance. As she rounded the bend and saw me, she broke into a full shuffling run. As she passed me, she only responded to my queries with “Bear! Bear!”

I finally got her to stop and calm down. She said she had not even seen the bear until it stood up on its hind legs and “honked” at her. She kept walking quickly while blowing the whistle for me, until she could no longer see the bear and then she flat-out ran. I told her the whistle alone probably scared off the bear. But for a while, I agreed to let her walk in front of me until her nerves settled.

Finally we hit the pavement for the last mile to Fontana Dam and SWS settled her weary feet while relaxing on a lakeside bench and trying to enjoy the view.

bench

lake

At last, we crossed the dam…..

dam

Once at the visitors’ center, we showered and prepared to head out to retrieve my truck. Our AT adventure was at an end for the moment.

Bill Fornshell
    BPL Member

@bfornshell

Locale: Southern Texas

Hi Shawn,

What a great bunch of pictures.

It looks like you and your Bride had a really great hike.

It also was nice to see a "new" shelter.

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

Nice trip report Shawn, and congrats on tying the knot! I may try that section with my wife this fall as we will be living in SC by then, and won't be too far away. BTW, what kind of skunks are we talking about here?

George Matthews
    BPL Member

@gmatthews

Good trip report and pics. Congrats!

Shawn Basil

@bearpaw

Locale: Southeast

"BTW, what kind of skunks are we talking about here?"

My wife is a skunk magnet. She has attracted skunks to our tarp at Land Between the Lakes NRA, to her tent at Longhunter State Park (in Tennessee), and even had an encounter in Yosemite.

By way of comparison, I guess I don't seem too rank after a trip, though she is BIG on making sure I get to a shower pretty soon after a trip.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Congrats on the wedding and successful return from the honeymoon! Thanks for the trip report.
    It looks like a good trip for a holiday weekend. I was to be at Falls Creek Falls last weekend, but a retired fuel pump on my truck detoured that plan. It's good to see someone else on here from Nashville, though you make me look like a slacker. I've been here in TN for over 2 years now and still haven't done a weekend in the Smokeys. Maybe in the fall when I have more free time…
    Best of luck.
    Chris
    p.s. This seems to be prime skunk season. I live on the north side (Hermitage) of Percy Priest Lake and have seen lots of skunks around here lately. Couchville area seems to be about the same, if not more. SWS should make another run to Long Hunter if she's looking for action!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools