Topic

Is jerky an appropriate …

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Is jerky an appropriate …

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Paul Foreman

@fish3006

provider of protein for backpacking?
    We eat a lot of venison jerky where I live. It's way lightweight, and sure tastes good …

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

paul, venison jerky has about 25 mg.of protein per 100 grams. if you make your own, you can control the salt somewhat(need the salt to kill bacteria,etc.) you don't say where you are from, but i can bet it's northern states, as i make and eat venison jerky also. and yes, it's delicious. vicky

Paul Foreman

@fish3006

… where if your kid takes a bin of deer jerky to school with him, he will lose all of it to his buddies – boys and girls – before lunch time.
    You know, "He, let me try that." "Hey I want a bite …"

victoria maki
    BPL Member

@clt1953

Locale: northern minnesota

hey, i've heard alabama looks like minnesota. the school comments made me laugh…..

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

But it isn't like you NEED meat when backpacking. Jerky though can be great for snacking on or shredding up and using in dishes.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Correction:
    It isn't like you need meat ONLY when backpacking.

So far, the best use of my dehydrator has been making beef jerky. I've tried other things too, but nothing seems as rewarding. Vegans hate me. Cows fear me.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"It isn't like you need meat ONLY when backpacking."

Ya, I like it other times too….

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Well, at least try other meats :-P Personally, if I eat meat it is Venison or Bison. Way better tasting than beef. Also, both make excellent jerky.

Greg Vaillancourt

@gsv45

Locale: Utah

Makes the vegans and bunny huggers go ballistic.

Elk jerky is my favorite.

mark henley

@flash582

Hummmmm

We should be eating Tofu jerky these days or what?????

I'm thinking Vegan and Bunny jerky myself.

Tim Halberg
    BPL Member

@turtlehead

Locale: Folsom, CA timhalberg.com

last time I tried eating jerky on the trail I tried doing it as a lunch snack, but I just couldn't stomach it during the day like that, but maybe it would have worked well with dinner?

I'm a HUGE meat eater, but it just didn't sit well for lunch.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Jerky can be a meat that takes time for your stomach to digest, hence for some evening meal with it works well.
    If you haven't seen it you can get jerky snuff (shredded to look like chew). That stuff works great in meals!

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Ever since I was just a tad I've always taken jerky with me, whether it might be just a day hike or a longer trek. What I like about it is that I can put some in my pocket and it won't melt like chocolate nor crumble like a cooky, and in hot weather the salt sure tastes good. Sarah mentioned making some out of Buffalo, and since the local market has some on sale, I think I'll try making it.

I also enjoy squid jerky from the Asian markets; it can be had in a sweet or hot version…verry chewy! And the local co-op has salmon jerky (a mainstay of the PNW tribes), but I haven't tried it yet. Has anybody given it a go?

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Well done Salmon jerky is good stuff! I sometimes get the Salmon jerky that Trader Joes sells as well. It comes in small bags, you can shred it up and add it to meals.
    I have seen commercially made Buffalo jerky as well – my husband prefers it to beef.

bradley kachnowicz

@bradley

Traditional pemmican is animal fat mixed with powdered jerky and dried berries or fruit. native americans ate something like that for high energy calories while on the trail. I make a modern pemmican as follows: I chop up my home made jerky and mix it up with chunky organic peanut butter (in place of animal fat) and various dried fruits (raisins, apricots, cherries. cranberries etc…)you can add a little nutmeg, cinnamon or other spices if you want different flavors as well. Then use it as a spread on whole grain bread or crackers.Great tasting easy to pack source of protien and calories. check it out. peace!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools