Topic

Lightweight Leash for axe

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Mountaineering & Alpinism Lightweight Leash for axe

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christopher Chupka

@fattexan

Locale: NTX

I have acquired a Camp Corsa ice axe, what is a good lightweight leash system for the axe?

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

Hi Christopher. I guess you woudn't be hanging from it, so you don't need a fancy wrist loop leash. The leash is so you don't lose it if you drop it. When i'm carrying an axe for protection on steep, non technical ground(self arrest, stability etc), i tie a 3 ft or so length of cord to my hipbelt, and the other end to my axe head. This means i can swap hands easily to keep the axe in my uphill hand, without the hassle of loosening and tightening a loop each time.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

My favourites are:
    I use 2 different leash in my axes

– black diamond slider

http://www.bdel.com/gear/slider.php

48grams in my scale

– dmm raptor leash

http://www.needlesports.com/acatalog/dmmchokeleash.JPG

52 grams in my scale

I prefer the Bd leash but both are light not too expensive and quite confortable ..

Sometimes I use a 60 cm BD dynemaa sling (30 gm ) to make one sling, is light, cheap and i have one spare sling just in case …

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Making the Leash
    By Ryan Jordan

To make an ultralight wrist leash for the Helix using our AirCore Pro Rope (which remains light and strong enough for excellent durability while being thick enough to prevent the cord from cutting into your clothing or skin), do this:

1. Mark one end of the rope using a piece of electrical tape or with a permanent marker, just to distinguish the ends and make these instructions easier to follow.

2. Approximately 16 inches from the marked end, tie an overhand knot in the rope. We'll refer to the rope length between the knot and the marked end as "below the overhand knot" and the rope length between the knot and the unmarked end as "above the overhand knot".

3. Using the marked end as the tag end, tie half of a double fishermen's knot above the overhand knot.

4. Tie the unmarked end to the round hole in the adze end of the ice axe head with a bowline knot. Adjusting the length of the tag end of the bowline knot allows you to adjust the length of the wrist leash.

5. Generally, the length of the wrist leash is adjusted in the bowline knot, by controlling the length of rope between the bowline knot and the overhand knot. The shorter this length, the shorter the leash. It's a matter of personal preference how long you want to make this length. However, a length of 4 to 8 inches is generally acceptable, and provides enough length for you to easily adjust your grip on the axe and to let it hang out of the way from your wrist when not holding on to it to perform other tasks.

6. Generally, the diameter of the wrist loop is adjustable by controlling the distance between the overhand knot and the half double fisherman's knot. Try to fine tune this length initially to accomodate the diameter of your wrist and associated clothing and handwear. Then, in the field, if you desire a smaller diameter wrist hole on the leash, simply move the overhand knot towards the half double fisherman's knot.

7. A wrist leash made in this manner with AirCore Pro Rope will generally weigh in the range of 0.12 to 0.16 ounces.

…From the ULA Helix Ice Axe page in the gear shop:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/ula_helix_ice_axe_carbon_fiber.html

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I tried several different systems on my Helix. In the end I found them all equally unhelpful and irritating while walking, and now use none.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools