Topic

No Vestibule – what to do?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) No Vestibule – what to do?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Well – if it rains you put them inside your shelter, preferably in a plastic bag so as not to get everything all muddy(not too heavy!)
    S.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

Definitely inside.

I never leave my footware outside and unsecured. Racoons and other creatures like the salt and if they were to run off with one in the middle of the night……….

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I agree with above — and definitely inside a plastic bag.

OTOH, even leaving the plastic bag somewhat open, this severely affects the boots' chance of airing out and drying out through the night!

I've always left my hiking boots and socks in my tent vestibule and no animals or insects have ever molested them in my five years of backpacking. Of course, now that I said it…

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I wouldn't use a shelter which did not have a vestibule. Priorities…

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I generally leave them under the floor of the tent, standing up. Keeps them dry and mud out of the tent. Works well with the kids.

Rod

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I agree with Roger. I want a vetsibule for wet gear and cooking. It's the only thing stopping me from getting a Warmlite tent.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

I guess it depends on where and when you backpack. I wouldn't consider a shelter without a bug proof inner and a vestibule for Scottish summers. However in the winter I sometimes use single skin shelters such as the GoLite Shangri-La 3. As I use a small groundsheet there is ample ground space inside to use as I would a vestibule. Such a shelter would be unbearable when the midges are biting. On trips to dry areas such as the High Sierra and the South-West USA I've mostly used tarps and not felt any need for a vestibule.

In grizzly bear areas, and places where black bears may be interested in my food, I've carried a tent and a tarp, setting up the latter as a kitchen and dining area in wet weather.

Damp gear increases condensation inside a tent if left in the open so if I have to bring it inside I keep it in a plastic bag or stuffsack.

Of course a small tarp can be used to create a vestibule for a tent without one, something I have done occasionally when testing tents.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

No vestibule. What to do ?

1) Panic
    2) Look around, it might be at the back or at the bottom end
    3) OK , it's not there . Ask yourself "why…"
    4) Look again, just in case

How about having one of those multiuse heavy duty trash bags, shove your boots in there, rig it so that you still have an opening but protected from rain.
    For the Aussies : always turn the boots upside down and shake them before wearing them.
    Franco

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

It's definitely not just you David!

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

While I own a couple of tents with vestibules I usually choose one without one. I'm usually camping in the Northern Rockies, grizzly country, and wouldn't think of cooking that close to the tent even if I had a vestibule. Mike, the Warmlite 2R has more storage space inside the tent than the vestibule on any 2-man tent I've seen. Richard

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Hi Richard. I usually have a personal rain cloud that follows me about! My routine in pouring rain is to dive into vestibule, and dump sack. Then i open inner and take off jacket whilst backing into inner to sit down. My shoes/boots and rain pants are taken off in the vestibule. No wet gear ever comes into the inner. I reverse this when exiting in rain. Wet gear inside just adds to condensation. Living in a damp climate with usually damp ground, you have to work at minimising condensation. I REALLY want a Warmlite, the weights are so tempting, but i can't convince myself it would work for me. Even the act of opening the low angled door lets in rain.
    I'm not bothered about midges/bugs, as i wouldn't be using it at that time of year. I've got a chance of a swap deal on a Hex 3, so i think i'll go down that route.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

How about a tarp that is all vestibule and no tent?

Or better yet a hammock. The Hennessy is like a suspended tent with a vestibule below.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

I'm away tarping this weekend Richard:) Not enough trees for a hammock though.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

It depends. I have a Montbell monoframe diamond shelter which doesn't have vestibule, but due to its double wall construction, I can easily fit my boots in between the rainfly and the inner tent to keep them out of the rain (well, mostly anyways). For a single wall shelter without a vestibule, like a Bibler I-tent, I would put the boots or shoes underneath the tent floor at the head area and use them as a base for a pillow.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

I've never heard the raccoon thing before! Never would have thought of that. Has that ever actually happened to anyone? Or it is just a theory?

Great idea about keeping them under the tent floor. Very creative.

I agree also that I wouldn't use a shelter without a floorless protected area. That means either a vestibule (like my GG "The One") or a "tarp" type shelter (like my GG "Spinnshelter").

Regarding cooking… I never cook in the vestibule.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

Never had a problem with racoons, but I can vouch for possums. Mean little bugger ripped one of my shoes to shreds. I've heard friends tell me about deer chewing on them too. This is how I learned to bring them inside at night.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Crazy. And good to know! Really… never would have thought of that. I always keep my shoes under the vestibule when using my TarpTent Squall.

Chris Townsend
    BPL Member

@christownsend

Locale: Cairngorms National Park

On the subject of animals and footwear I lost a sandal to a pig on the GR20 in Corsica a few years ago. I was camped in one of the fenced camp sites found along the GR20 in areas where semi-wild pigs roam. I was just using a flysheet and so didn't have a vestibule. My sandals were under the flysheet close to my head. I was woken by a noise and thought it was the wind and dozed off again only to woken a second time to see my food bag disappearing under the edge of the flysheet. I grabbed the bag and saw a small dark creature run off into the night. In case anything else was missing I decided to scout round outside. That's when I discovered I was missing a sandal. I searched by headlamp that night and again in the morning inside and outside the fence but there was no sign of it. I did notice some holes in the wire fence through which I guess a small pig had wriggled. I also met another hiker scouring the campsite for a lost sandal. Luckily I was carrying some trail shoes as I wasn't certain the sandals would be suitable for some of the scrambling along the route (they weren't) so I still had some footwear.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Reading all the posts, I like the idea about tugging your boots underneath your tent floor. This way, they're protected from rain but still get a little bit of airing out — and no worries about them soiling your expensive down bag — which you know will happen if they are let inside.

Peter Craumer
    BPL Member

@craumerp

Once in the White Mountains (NH) a porcupine chewed and destroyed my boot laces, and in Glacier NP I had a deer carry off one of my trekking poles and drop it in the woods. Fortunately, another hiker saw that happen and retrieved the pole for me.

Bob Bankhead
    BPL Member

@wandering_bob

Locale: Oregon, USA

I keep everything (that I can't afford to lose, which means virtually everything) INSIDE my tent with me. The bear canister is safely stored 50 yards away in a spot where even if found, it can't be rolled very far.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools