Topic

OR Dry Peak Bagger

  • This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedMay 25, 2008 at 8:41 pm

I picked up an Outdoor Research Dry Peak Bagger pack today and I think it has real promise.

Specs:
9.2oz/263g
1650 cubic inches/27 liters
Dry bag/roll top design
Mesh shoulder straps
Sternum strap with whistle buckle
Outer pocket, open top like a hydration sleeve
Ice axe sleeve with retaining buckle.

OR Peak Bagger pack

This pack is the REI Flash on steroids— 600ci/10L larger but only 0.2oz heavier and it has the waterproof closure. It is large enough to squeak in an UL overnighter without going to extreme measures.

This is a perfect bag for using your sleeping pad rolled inside to give it support and shape. The shoulder straps are wide and long enough for a big guy to wear comfortably. As with most packs without a suspension or hip belt, I wouldn't try to carry more than 20 pounds in it.

With the roll top closure, it leaves the sleeve on the front of the back to carry a Platypus– I would use a 2 liter. I do wonder how sweaty it will be with the silnylon up against my back.

Has anyone used on on the trail?

Rod Lawlor BPL Member
PostedMay 26, 2008 at 3:55 am

What did it cost you Dale?

(RRP please, not some super Dale special!!)

Rod

PostedMay 26, 2008 at 6:32 am

Dale,
Is this bag only waterproof or does it hold air too? I recently picked up an OR Hydroseal #6 bag. I'm planning to use this for an overnighter on one of the islands in a local lake. It's easier to swim with something that floats, but straps would make hauling on land a hands free task.
I found one similar, but slightly larger (1885ci/30.9L)… and on sale!
http://www.prolitegear.com/outdoor_research_drycomp_summit_sack.html

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedMay 26, 2008 at 7:37 am

It retails for $48 (The thrift store hiking deal of the day was a Salewa Tofana helmet for $5).

As to the waterproofness of the bag, it is made like any silnylon bag with a roll top closure and taped seams. The fabric is 40D nylon. I would wonder about abrasion resistance and depending on it to float and remain waterproof enough for swimming with.

Dale Wambaugh BPL Member
PostedJun 1, 2008 at 9:57 pm

I needed to catch up on my gear weight spreadsheet and got out the toys today to see if I could get an overnighter in a 1650ci/27L pack.

No problem for summer trips using a 40F down bag and stowing my sleeping pad rolled on the top. I don't feel like I'm scrimping a bit and I ended up with a base weight of 8 pounds.

The pack has no hip belt, so I put my survival items in a belt bag. I could use a small fanny pack the same way and it might be more comfortable that way too.

With food, water (2L) and fuel, I would have a little under 15 pounds in the pack for an overnight trip. The bag is more than adequate for a day trip.

I'll post my results in the Gear List forum.

PostedJul 7, 2013 at 3:07 pm

Just saw this old thread. Just thought I would add (if anyone is listening) that I picked this bag up cheap and have been using it for SUL-type overnights. Works great. Considering a ZPacks extra-small "Zero" as an upgrade maybe.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Loading...