Topic

Any Good Trails in North/Central WI?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Hiking Partners / Group Trips Any Good Trails in North/Central WI?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Tim F
    BPL Member

@kneebyter

Locale: the depths of Hiking Hell (Iowa)

I'm going to be near Sparta, WI (about 30 miles east of LaCrosse, just off Interstate 90) for business, and I'm wondering if there are any good trails within 2-3 hour drive. I'm looking for 15-20 miles, preferably a loop.

On a side note, can you filter/treat the water in that area of WI? I live in Iowa where it is not suggested to drink the water because of agricultural runoff (pesticides/herbicides) that no filter can remove. I know there is a lot of farming in WI too.

Any info appreciated. Thanks

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

There are some sections of the Ice Age Trail near Wausau and Rice Lake if you are wiling to drive that far. I have not hiked these sections of trail so I cannot say what they are like.

I drink the surface water here in northern WI but I do not know if the surface water in central WI is ok to drink.

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

Tim: While it isn't my idea of an ideal HIKING trail, you might find the railroad tunnels of the Sparta-Elroy bike trail worth a visit. Definitely more scenic than your average midwestern converted rail trail.

Stuart: I drink the surface water here in northern WI, were you speaking of the northwest end of the Ice Age Trail? I've been looking for variety (from SHT) and have been wondering about IAT.

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Jim,

I have not hiked any sections of the IAT yet but I want to in the coming years. I have hiked the NCT from solon springs to drummond and would highly recommend that stretch of trail. It has nice rolling terrain, mature pine and hardwood forests with little undergrowth, great trail tread, and is well maintained. I would also recommend buying the official maps from the NCT association the one I have is very useful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools