Topic

Pacific Northwest Trail National Scenic Trail designation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Pacific Northwest Trail National Scenic Trail designation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Joe Westing

@pedro87

A bill has been introduced that would give the Pacific Northwest Trail the National Scenic Trail status. As of May 5, it is in the House Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public Lands. From photos and various trip reports, it seems the PNT certainly deserves this designation. This status would provide much needed funds to maintain the trail, and it would much promote its popularity. However, it seems that one of the allures of the trail is the fact that there often is no official or no trail at all. With official designation, it might lose some of its wild and adventurous spirit. Also, sections of the trail could become much more crowded. Overall though, I think if the PNT does become a National Scenic Trail it would be a great thing. It would be a great reward for all the hard work volunteers have to done to create this outstanding trail.

Carter Hunt

@thechamp

Locale: Portland, OR

I was just thinking about this the other day. Thanks for the update, it would be sweet to have somewhat of an established route and more funding. One step closer to creating an actual great western loop?

Joe Westing

@pedro87

An actual Great Western Loop would be pretty awesome. Anyway, I hope this bill gets passed or at least makes it out of committee. I don't see how there would be huge opposition because its not exactly creating new wilderness or anything. This trail has really interested me since I heard about during Skurka's Sea to Sea trip. I would love to do it someday. It was great reading about Sam Haraldson's thru-hike of the trail last year.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

The Pacific Northwest Trail Association is asking supporters to leave their comments about the bill and the trail on the following Web site:

http://tinyurl.com/4khhcz

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools