Topic

Wool Base Layer Itch

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Wool Base Layer Itch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Nick Garcia
    BPL Member

@saltamontes

Locale: South Florida

Since I have read so many good things about wool base layers, i decided to buy an Icebreaker Bodyfit 150, i have used it a few times and washed it, however, it still feels a little itchy on my skin, this past weekend, i was at the gear shop and decided to try another Icebreaker top of a heavier weight, the top did not feel as ichy as mine.
    Within the same brand, could the wool be differnt for the differnt weights that would effect its feel on my skin?
    Thanks

Richard Brownkatz

@jycheyanne

Nick,
    This is not an answer to your question, but it might help solve the itchy wool problem for you.
    I bought two used military all wool sweaters for like $9 each and a bottle of NOW brand lanolin, all through the internet. Lanolin is the oil sheep produce that makes wool waterproof and soft. The internet provided a number of methods for treating the wool with the lanolin – lots of people use lanolin to make wool soft enough to use as diapers for their babies. We treated the wool sweaters once and have been able to wear them next to out skin with no itch. By the way, these military sweaters are terrific. Warm, relatively light, and they have never lost their shape. They remain as tight fitting as when we first got them.
    Hope this helps.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools