Topic

Merino wool baselayer – which one?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Merino wool baselayer – which one?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

I can't hike with a Merino wool baselayer unless its under 70 degrees, and that's with a Patagonia wool 2 baselayer, which is very thin. I also found I would often get mosquito bites on my shoulders since these are not mosquito proof. Yes, I can put that windshirt on for mosquito protection but that's the last thing I want to do when I'm already hot.

The best i've found for warm weather is a supplex shirt, like the Mountain hardwear canyon shirt.

It may be a personal thing however, as some people seem happy using merino baselayers even in hot weather.

Dan

Jay Wilkerson
    BPL Member

@creachen

Locale: East Bay

Patagonia-Silkweight. Feels good on the skin and very breathable, plus the have a recyling program for old clothes!!! Its hard to be beet any of Patagonias products. My humble opion.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I agree with Jay in recommending Patagonia performance base layers. Their silk weight is now called Capilene 1, this is the lightest of four weights of base layer products. This Cap 1 weight works great for summer trips. These products are durable, light, layer well and dry fast when damp or wet.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I recently purchased the REI Lightweight MTS for the same reasons posted above; it feels cooler than my Smartwool, and more importantly, the mesh deign allows air to really flow through the entire shirt. Just walking generates enough breeze that my entire torso and arms can feel. To me this is even cooler than the Railriders type of clothing, which must rely on venting panels to achieve the same.

However, I couldn't help but notice the guy helping me at REI comared the REI to Capeline 2 in terms of weight. Does anyone know if this is true? REI didn't have any Capeline 1 to test, and I thought the MTS felt cooler (and looked better worn as a regular shirt) than the Capeline 2, where venting was only felt in the mesh side panels.

Has anyone compared Capeline 1 to the MTS to compare breathability? I'm really sold on the idea of a mesh-like shirt for direct venting of my entire torso.

The other thing the MTS has going for it is it is guaranteed SPF 50+. That's pretty impressive for a mesh shirt. I haven't seen Patagonia give any SPF claims.

There is definitely more flash cooling in these synthetic shirts, so I'll probably still bring my short sleeve microweight Smartwool as things cool down. Or I'll test using this with my windshirt.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I've worn wool in 80 degree weather and been fine, but it depends on the wool. My Nau shirt felt way too hot while Icebreaker or Ibex were quite comfortable.

REI's Web site has some Icebreaker short sleeves, you could try one of those and return it if it feels too hot for you.

A B

@sheilabaynes

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

I also have pieces from the big 4 makers. The reason they do not make them in light colors typically, is their transparency in thin weights. I would go with short sleeves for summer, and use a windshirt for UV protection. Merino is just too hot for long-sleeve wear in summer IMO.

Yoyo
    Spectator

@dgposton

Locale: NYC metro

John,

I agree–the mesh design really feels nice. Tight, clingy baselayers just don't seem designed for summer use. But what are you using as your midlayer with your REI Lightweight MTS?

Last summer in Colorado I wore an REI Short-sleeve lightweight MTS as my main hiking shirt, but I had to supplement this with a midweight MTS long-sleeve (which I frequently had to don) and a heavyweight MTS long-sleeve to go over that when temps dropped. This year, I want to shed some ounces by wearing the long-sleeve lightweight MTS as my primary hiking shirt and bringing only one mid-layer–either my heavyweight MTS or an R1 pullover (or something similar). I thought about bringing a synthetic fill garment as many have suggested here, such as a Polarguard vest or a Cocoon pullover, but I see these as useful solely for campwear, not as a hiking layer. I've also considered buying a windshirt, but I feel I need to drop the weight of my current rain shell before adding on more ounces to my pack weight.

Brian Strong

@bmstrong

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/apparel%20main/merino_mid_layers.htm

MM did a review of everything sold here:

http://www.militarymorons.com/gear/garments.3.html#merino

I still wish I could find one with a hood I'm happy with. Nobody, IHMO, cuts the hoods long enough and leaves extra room. I like a nice ddep hood.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

David,

Indeed the Cocoon will be too thick for any active use (I own one). I find that if I put my windshirt or rain jacket on instead of a mid-layer, it warms me up just the same as a mid-layer. I would say lighten your jacket to make room for the windshirt, or buy an eVent jacket. I find I can regulate my temperature a little better with a windshirt or eVent jacket than I can with a mid-layer, unzipping the front zip when it gets a little warmer or donning the hood as it gets cooler. Next I would experiment with gloves and hat. You'd be surprised how warm this will keep you while moving!

One of the things I really like about the MTS is that, even though it's a very breathable mesh-like weave (perfect for a summer breeze), it's still relatively thick for a regular shirt. So once you've added a windshirt or jacket to stop the wind, that thickness acts to better insulate you, more so than, for example, a Rail Riders shirt would. Of course a lightweight mid-layer fleece feels more comfortable and relaxed than a windshirt or jacket, so when car camping or around town I will use a fleece mid-layer. But on the trail, I get dual use out of my rain gear which lightens my load, and I find the performance better.

It took me a while to realize that what is really needed when hiking is a wind break, not more insulation. Most of the time what is cooling me off too much when active is any kind of a breeze. For example, I used to wear fleece pants for walks around my house in winter. But the wind would still bite right through and chill me, since fleece is so porous. Ever since switching to wearing my rain pants, I can hike in the same temps with my summer hiking shorts/pants and rain pants, and nothing more. The rain suit blocks the wind from blowing away the heat my body has generated.

Of course, once you've stopped, that's a completely different story; you need insulation to trap body heat, since you are no longer generating enough on your own. That's when I pull out my Cocoon gear.

If I am going to be hiking in sustained, cold rain that's when I will add a mid-layer. The main reason is that the rain will pull heat much faster from the rain jacket than cold dry air, which begins to chill my chest and shoulders too quickly. I will pack a micro-weight short sleeve merino base layer in that case. This gets the merino layer next to my skin, and covers enough of my shoulders to make the difference. My short sleeve merino is 5 or 6 ounces. This also gives me the choice of changing into a dry shirt at camp if I choose not to wear it.

Richard D.
    BPL Member

@legkohod

Locale: Eastern Europe / Caucasus

Hi David,

Good to see other Colorado trekkers here. I'm starting out on the CT on July 11 solo. I had to make a similar decision, and here's what I settled on:

top:
    GoLite Drimove t-shirt
    200 weight Icebreaker long-sleeve half-zipper top
    Pertex Quantum windshirt

bottom:
    Noname polyester shorts
    150 weight Icebreaker tights
    Momentum shell windpants

I have found that if I have the exact same layers on my top and bottom, my torso gets colder a lot quicker. Thus, to even out the warmth level, I've made the tights thinner than the merino top, and the drimove t-shirt will add more warmth than the shorts.

Philip Carr

@unsponsored

Locale: UK

Stuff from these guys is A1.

http://www.embersmerino.com/

Based in the UK. I have four or five T's much better built than Icebreaker kit.

Viewing 12 posts - 26 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools