Topic

granola vs muesli vs gorp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition granola vs muesli vs gorp

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I have just recently started digging in this forum.. looking for UL food :) But I dont know much about American food concept. So please help me here.

From wikipedia I gather that Granola is baked and Muesli is not. Is that correct? Is there any other difference?

Also if you add gorp to oatmeal you get granola/muesli -is that correct?

I have some UK made Quacker 'quick cooking' White oats at home. How will that stuff work for making muesli?

I will also appreciate links to some website with good recipes.

Thanks in advance.

edit: comparing Kelloggs cornflakes with Quaker oats

cornflakes offers 366calories/100gms compared to 356calories/100gms by oatmeals. I always thought oatmeals were superior but never compared the stats before. I grew tired of oats a few months back and since then eating cornflakes. If cornflaks are fiving me more calories i dont see why I should go back to oats.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Muesli is a mix of raw grains (rolled oats…), dried fruit seeds,and nuts. My preferred brand is Bob's Red Mill Muesli. For hiking I cover premeasured muesli (1.5 cups)with warm water, reseal ziplock bag and let soak overnight. This is eaten raw with no cooking required. If using a bear bag place ziplock bag containing muesli and water in a stocking cap, or other insulation,and let soak overnight while hanging in bear bag.

Muesli is light, healthy and packs a good amount of calories per serving.

Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

"if you add gorp to oatmeal you get granola/muesli…?"

GORP=Good Old Rasins and Peanuts. While these *can* be included in granola, answer is no.

"[Quaker] 'quick cooking' White oats…will that stuff work for making muesli?"

I've yet to make muesli, but I put generic 'one minute' oats in my last two batches of granola. As long as they are rolled (not just cracked, 40+ minute type) they will work for granola.

"I will also appreciate links to some website with good recipes."

Try instructables.com and foodnetwork.com and don't worry too much about the exact ingredients. Just notice the process and the proportion of grain and nuts to sugar. I like to reduce the sugar a little and slightly over-bake.

Scott S

@sschloss1

Locale: New England

For long trips, I make own granola using a dehydrator. I think you could easily make it in an oven at low temperature instead. The recipe:

Ingredients:
    ½ cup honey
    ½ cup hot water
    ½ cup vegetable oil
    2 tsp vanilla
    5 cups quick oats
    3 Tbsp powdered milk (or powdered soymilk)

Instructions:
    Mix above ingredients then add in 1 cup of something else: dried fruit, sunflower seeds, coconut, etc.
    Spread on parchment paper to about ½” thick.
    Dehydrate at 145° for 2+ hours. Done when dry and slightly crisp on the outside. It should come off the tray in chunks.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Hi Huzefa,

Muesli and granola ingredients vary widely but they are similar. Granola is typically eaten without cooking.

One main difference thought is that granola has fat or oil content, and often sugar added. I've got to think that granola would have a higher calorie/weight ratio.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

go check out recipezarr.com You will be able to find tons of recipes for making granola and muesli :-) Having said that, I prefer granola. Just tastes better to me. There are of course a million ways to make granola.
    Gorp would be trail mix by any other name – and you can make it anyway you like. Just put in a bag whatever you like to snack on! Some people add nuts, candy, chocolate, dried fruit, breakfast cereal, etc.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

If you really want ultra light calories rather than cereals how much Ghee laced dried food can you eat? I read on another post here that ghee does not go off easily, and like all fats its calories are UL

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Ghee has an excellent shelf life. It can handle hot weather and does not need to be refrigerated either.
    I know I posted a DIY on making it a number of months ago here :-)

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

I really appreciate all the help.

>If you really want ultra light calories rather than cereals how much Ghee laced dried food can you eat?

Derek, have you ever eaten ghee? There is no way I would eat it just like that. But my fav sweet dish is 'Gol papdi'. It is a wheat flour sweet dish and uses lot of pure ghee and has lot of calories. (I have to hide it from my friends :) Google it and you will find a lot of recipes. It is hard to get it right as there are lot of variables involved. I simply have it ordered.

I will make (I mean I will ask my mom to make) both granula and muesli and see if I like it.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Btw, if you can get it..use coconut cream powder for "milk" on the granola or muesli. It packs a lot of fat per serving. And is tasty!

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

Hi Huzefa,
    No I hav'nt eaten neat ghee,but this Gol papdi sounds like good stuff.
    I expect you know muesli is about 3 calorie/gram, neat ghee will be in the region of 9 calorie/gram but as you say you would not want to eat it neat. Chocolate is maybe 5. If you know something you like and could eat regularly that is better than chocolate, say 6 or 7 you are onto a winner. Mind you ultra light food is usually bad for you, if this gol papdi is so good you'll have to only eat it whilst walking hard.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

just 3 calorie/gram? didnt know that

Take a look at the ingredients in Gol Papdi:

1/2 cup whole wheat flour (3.4cal/gm)
    1/3 cup jaggery, grated (3.8cal/gm)
    1/2 teaspoon poppy seeds
    1/4 teaspoon cardamom powder
    4 tablespoons ghee (9 cal/gm)

muesli cant beat that. Although I can eat gol papdi for breakfast, lunch, dinner I am looking for some variety.

Recently Maggi has lauched 'Cuppa Mania' in India. You just add hot water to the cup it comes in. I plan to try it on my next hike.

edit:
    Just read a bad review of 'cuppa Mania'. The reviewer recommended Ramen Cup Noodles.

Calories in Cup Noodles, Ramen Noodle
    Chicken Flavor, Dry Mix

Calories 296/ 64 gm container. Thats 4.6 cal/gram. cool!

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Right now my UL food options are:

Breakfast
    >Gol Papdi
    >Ramen cup noodles

Snacks
    >Gol Papdi
    >Granola

Dinner – still thinking about it.

Derek, Sarah thanks again for the tips.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

found a box of it in kitchen. Its got about 201 cal/oz. cool!

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Wait till you look at the fat in it ;-) It is basically powdered fat.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools