Topic

Golite Ether hood size

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Golite Ether hood size

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Eric Lavering

@lave

Locale: Western Montana

Hey guys. I’ve been looking for a hooded windshirt and found the Golite Ether on sale for $40 at Sierra Trading Post. I’m a little bit worried about the size of the Ether’s hood, though. In all of the pictures I’ve seen it looks pretty small, and I’m not sure if my long neck/big head will fit well. Just for reference, I find the hood on my Dri-Ducks size large to be uncomfortably small.

Any thoughts on Ether hood sizing or anything else I might need to know about windshirts would be appreciated. Thanks a bundle in advance.

Alex Orgren

@big_load

The Ether runs a little small. I’m 5’10”, 145 lbs and I pretty much fill up a medium. There’s plenty of volume in the hood, but not much extra length. If I wear my hood over a Tilley hat, it pulls tight and just starts to lift off my shoulders.

Edited:
    I should add that a Marmot Precip hood (also medium) fits quite well over the same hat.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

I have Driducks and Golite Helios — both in Medium. Both hoods are comparable, with the Helios hood a tiny, tiny bit bigger.

If the Large size Driducks hood is too small for you, I would assume the same will ring true for the large size Ether hood as well.

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Ditto Alex’ comments. I’ve got the same body type and my size medium is filled up. Also note that the arm cuffs are pretty snug. Head volume is fine, and I think it’s a nice cut and design. Neck length can be a tad short if I have the hood cinched & zipped up. I wouldn’t say this has been much of a problem. It’s just something that I notice, not really bothersome or less functional.
    -Mark

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

I’m about the same. 5’10″and about 175lb, but barrel chested (measure 41″ over a shirt) with longish arms.

Should I go with a med or large

Thanks, Rod

paul johnson

@pj

Locale: LazyBoy in my Den - miss the forest

Rod,

you talkin’ Ether here? if so, i’d say go with the large. i’m much shorter than you and wear a 40 extra-short suit. a medium Wisp is a slightly snug fit, getting it on & off just over a base layer. fits fine, once on. could also wear it over a thin wool mid layer, but nothing thicker/more insulating. sleeve and torso length is fine for me. my gut feeling is that it will be too short for you. my wife is a couple of inches taller than me and slim and wears a medium Ether.

if i see my son tomorrow, i’ll have him try it on – he’s just a tad over your ht, but built slimmer. at least, it will be a reasonable check on sleeve length. i believe the sleeves and torso length will be way too short on him, but i’m just guessing here based upon how it fits me.

Rod Lawlor
    BPL Member

@rod_lawlor

Locale: Australia

Thanks Paul,

Large sounds good. I’ll be ordering over the web, and whil most places are happy to exchange, it costs me at least another $30 bucks in post.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools