Topic

Sale on REI Gimme Shelter – worth it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sale on REI Gimme Shelter – worth it?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Just noted on REI’s website that they’re selling their Gimme Shelter tarp/tent for $60; original price was $130. Anyone have some experience with this? I passed originally because there wasn’t any bug netting – but I’m wondering if the shaped tarp (without the floor) might be worthwhile as a shelter over a bivy sack. Any feel – is this even worth $60?

Jericho Cain

@jcain6

I decided against the gimme shelter because the trek pole has to be right in the middle of the sleeping area. I would knock the shelter over just by tossing and turning.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

No direct experience, but this thing is brand new for 2005 and it’s already selling at less than half price! Likely that few are enamored and even fewer are buying.

Price is important but considering that a tent lasts for years, I’d rather spend more on a Henry Shires tarptent — lighter, easier AND it comes with netting!

The use of two poles inside just seems awkward. And then, if you want to do an evening or early morning hike with your poles, you’ve got to take down your tent first! Hmmm.

Finally, if you want a tarp / bivy setup, there are many tarps lighter than 22 oz!

Just my two cents.

Glenn Roberts

@garkjr

Locale: Southwestern Ohio

Thanks for your thoughts – they pretty much confirmed what I suspected. Think I’ll still pass.

michael higley

@michael-2

I picked up a Gimme Shelter for next to nothing for my niece to play in, in the back yard. Turns out it works surprisingly well. The design sheds wind and rain well, is light and packs small. It can be suspended from above as well as being set up with poles. When properly and tautly pitched knocking into the poles wont collapse it. Having poles right in the middle of the does kinda suck, but if you see one on Craig's list or Ebay for twenty buck it's worth grabbing.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools