Topic

Ozark National Scenic Riverway

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Ozark National Scenic Riverway

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jim Yancey

@jimyancey

Locale: Missouri

The last week of April, two friends and I backpacked through the Current River Ozark National Scenic Riverway in Missouri. We floated the river from Round Spring access to the Powder Mill Ferry access by "shuttling" with our backpacks. We hiked part of the Ozark Trail (Blair Creek section), used some old abandoned roads, and did a fair bit of cross-country bashing through National Park lands, Missouri Conservation areas, and the Roger Pryor Backcountry section of Pioneer Forest (private land with public access.)

To begin, we dropped our canoes at Round Spring, locked them and some extra gear and food (in large, lockable ammo boxes) to a tree. We then drove to Powder Mill, hoisted our packs (mine UL, my friends', well, not so UL) and ambled down the Ozark Trail, paralleling Blair Creek, a beautiful tributary to the Current River. There were several inspiring views of the river and surrounding countryside. Our first night out we camped at the mouth of Barn Hollow, a small trib with gorgeous spring wildflower displays in its valley. The next day, we crossed into the valley of Big Creek, a delightful spring-fed stream with absolutely transparent water, wary smallmouth bass and more beautiful wildflowers. Our day ended at the mouth of another small trib, again on the banks of the Current River. We went to sleep with the sounds of beaver and otter working and playing in the river, and awoke to the sounds of wild turkeys gobbling on both sides of us. After a fairly strenuous climb up several of the area's infamous steep hills (as the locals say, "The hills aren't very high, but the valleys sure are deep!")we emerged at the Missouri Highway 19 bridge over the river. A short walk took us back to our boats, which we checked over and unlocked (all was well.) A couple of other friends arrived about 15 minutes after us, with their boats on the car. They brought fresh food, Dutch ovens and ice cold Guinness! The next two nights were spent on gravel bars on the river, feasting and boasting with good friends!

The Missouri and Arkansas Ozarks are an unknown treasure in the center of the US. The landscape isn't as expansive as western wilderness, and the Ozarks don't have the sheer spectacle of glaciated mountain peaks, but they do have enough space to get lost in, and an intimate beauty of Midwest forest and glade. Missouri is the meeting point of several different landforms, with glaciated plains in the north, highly dissected uplifts in the south and remnants of the Eastern deciduous forest grading into the prairies of the West. It has one of the highest concentrations of large springs in the world, crystal clear rivers, and over 5500 caves. There are 1.5 billion-year-old volcanic rocks in the southeast, some of the best karst on the planet, and two of the largest rivers in the world.

Backpacking and floating through this varied landscape is absolutely the best way to see it!

I'm sorry that I don't have any pics to share. None of us remembered to bring a camera! Perhaps next time…

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Everybody likes a picture, but you did a nice job painting one with your words. Thanks for the report.

john flanagan

@jackfl

Locale: New England

Oh thanks! YOu brought back 25 year old memories of paddling the Buffalo River in the early spring when the dogwood and redbud were in full bloom. You're right – the Ozark rivers are spectacular, especially in the spring.

mitchell stille

@sugarbear

Locale: Upper Midwest

Great post! I've taken two canoe/hike trips on the Current River and the Jack's Forks River and I can honestly say they are the most beautiful rivers I've been on anywhere. You won't be tackling class IV rapids but the water is absolutely pristine, there are tons of natural springs which take you into some of the most beautiful places I've ever seen and there are not a lot of floaters giving you a fairly private trip. I recommend this trip to anyone with 3 or 4 days to spare and looking for a great adventure.

Tom Caldwell
    BPL Member

@coldspring

Locale: Ozarks

Your trip report got me excited. I like to stomp and splash around them parts to. I guess you know that a new trail is being planned to make that trip a lot more convenient. Did you use any of the horse trails between Two Rivers and Bee Bluff?

I've just resorted to paddling upstream from June to October, and staying out of all them ticks and spiders. Upstream of Akers Ferry and Allie Springs are good places, with not too much water current. The view's always nice when you're looking upstream!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools