Topic

Help with – Compass Lanyard / Cord Buckle

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help with – Compass Lanyard / Cord Buckle

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    G Dup

@lococoyo

I'm looking to make a compass lanyard that is easily detachable via buckle so that it can be quickly placed on a map and then replaced.

I'm thinking of using a loop of cord around then neck and then a small loop of cord on the compass.

Right now the buckle unit i'm looking at will have to be a 1/2" side release with small loops of grosgrain permanently on each end to connect w/ the cord. Just doesn't seem too elegant or lightweight.

Maybe a buckle like this would be better?

Anyone know where to get something like that? Might not be too easy to use w/ gloves on but it'd be alot simpler. The way its looking I might just have to resort to taking the whole compass off every time I want to use it, geeez! :-) Better idea?

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

This Article is about a break away lanyard made from a cat collar.

The idea could be adapted to your need.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> I'm looking to make a compass lanyard that is easily detachable via buckle so that it can be quickly placed on a map and then replaced.
    > I'm thinking of using a loop of cord around then neck and then a small loop of cord on the compass.

You are half way there. Now, get radical and creative.

I have a loop of cord threaded through the hole on my compass. That goes around my neck – and is actually tied to a fabric loop on my shirt to stop me losing the compass. Yes, I have lost a couple – often when taking my shirt off to remove a thermal top from underneath. Most embarrassing.

But how to put the compass on the map? Simple. The loop is long enough that the compass hangs a bit below my sternum, inside my shirt. I pull the compass out and there is enough slack to let me put it on the map in my hand. I have been doing it this way for … 20 years?

Cheers

Paul Gilbert

@paul-gilberttalk21-com

Try Googling 'mobile phone lanyard' – many of these have a small side-release buckle to allow you to quickly attach/ detach the phone/ compass etc.

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

What if you had a loop of cord on the compass, enough diameter so the compass could pass through it, and you attach it to the cord around your neck with a lark's head? Hmm can I describe this in words..loop on compass bent around neck cord and compass passed through its own loop, so it ends up looking oh heck here's a picture: http://www.ehow.com/how_13480_make-larks-head.html. Then there would be no hard part to dig into your chest, weight minimal, nothing to break.

I'm not sure how having the cord stay around your neck will prevent you from losing the removable compass, but if that does the trick, that's great!

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

G Dup, use one of those thin camera lanyards (or cellphone lanyards) with a tiny side-release buckle and split-ring at the end. I use these for my compass, camera, cellphone, etc. One-dollar store anywhere.

G Dup

@lococoyo

Of course Roger's suggestion is by far the most elegant for an individual. The problem is when you've got the map laid out on the ground (or wherever) and you're trying to show everyone else in the group what the hell you're doing. I like the fabric loop (maybe velcro even) idea, if i'm thinking of it right then it'd keep it off your face and on your neck when you're upside down – which is always great for those strolls through the park.

I typically use the cow hitch (see larks head) but i'll have to keep an eye out for one of those lanyard things. Fortunately or not, dollar stores are few and far between 'round these parts.

Fred Stevenson

@freds

Locale: Montana

What if you take a 42" cord, tie one end to the compass, put it around your neck, tie a tautline hitch in the other end. When the loop is open it hangs down 14". When you tighten the "noose" the cord is 28" long which is as long as your reach and you do not have to take it off. Or use one of those barrel clamp things.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools