Topic

Layering of clothes/Windshirt

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Layering of clothes/Windshirt

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Christopher May
    Spectator

@christobolmayyahoo-com

After reading about it on this website I am considering buying a windshirt and want to clarify how it will fit in with my current layering.
    While backpacking, I currently wear a merino wool t-shirt, then a long sleeved lightweight merino wool zip-T. If I get cold I put on my Marmot Anorak Rainshell. If it gets really cold I put on my down flight jacket just under the rainshell.
    If I add a windshirt would it go over the zip-T or the short sleeved T-shirt. From my understanding the windshirt is not very breathable and acts as a vapor barrier over a thin layer and keeps the other clothing dry. Is this correct?

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Typically I wear a windshirt over the baselayers while active. Whether you put it over both shirts or just one depends on what the temperature and weather are like. In clear weather, while active, I can wear a t-shirt and windshirt down to about 40-50 degrees. Add a light rain and/or cooler weather, I’ll add a longsleeve garment underneath.

In-camp situations are a bit different. It’s nice to have the windshirt over your insulation if you’re up and about doing camp chores in so-so weather, to keep your down or synthetic dry. In bed, I’ve found that having the windshirt over the t-shirt but under everything else can be a good way to manage moisture and keep a good microclimate.
    -Mark

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Like Mark, I too treat my windshirt like a shell layer — used when it’s not too cold or rainy.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Nearly all windshirts are more breathable that most rainshells. I have found that patagonia’s % of naked description is pretty close to my in the field experience
    http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/stash/patagonia-testing.html

Most windshirts slow down vapor transmission a bit… but they are far from a vapor barrier. They are a bit help in preventing flashoff, but that is mostly because they block wind which slows evaporation if you have worked up a good sweat. I haven’t found that windshirts significantly impact the transmission of moderate amounts of water vapor (basic persperation).

I mostly agree with Mark. If I am active I can be happy between 30-50F with a windshirt, an appropriate base layer, and an appropriate hat.

As far as layering goes. I typically wear base and windshirt. If I need to quickly warm up I layer items over the windshirt. That way I don’t have to take the windshirt off. In camp, if my insulation is a vest, I will place my windshirt over my insulation layer because it is warmer. I would do the same if I was wearing a traditional fleece. If my insulation layer is wind blocking (high loft jacket or windproof fleece) I wouldn’t bother moving my windshirt.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools