Topic

UL Day Pack – cheap!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) UL Day Pack – cheap!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

So, I was in Target today and got really intrigued in the Sporting Goods section.

For $10, you can purchase a kid sleeping bag, that comes in a backpack stuff sack. It looked like 750 to 1000 cubic inches of capacity to my untrained eye. Beyond getting over the little pig eyes and green paint job, it seems like this could be a cool way to carry a cheap and light daypack on longer trips.

A larger kid-sleeping-bag backpack with capacity approaching 2000 cubic inches was also available for $15.

I can already see several potential problems with the pack, but curious… anyone played with one of these things, or weighed it?

Potential problems include:
    – Not sure that the width of the shoulder straps would accomodate an adult frame
    – Top loading compartment with drawstring closure would require additional internal stuff sack to ensure any kind of water repellency
    – Durability looked weak
    – With zero frame or padding or compression straps, contents may end up being very uncomfortable on a day hike

But the upside is there too:
    – Absolute minimalist backpack that doubles as a stuff sack
    – Cheap, really really cheap

-G$

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

I’ve seen those backpacks they sell in a combo kit. Some of them are monstoserous and looks like the Tent-Bag-Pack,-and Camp gear combo would weigh about 15+ pounds. The poor kid on the picture of the box looks like he’s ready to fall over backwards and makes him look like the biggest
    want-a-be camping geek. I realy feel sorry for kid and thinking that the parent was the one to buy and the kid wanted it. Looks like father like son. The dad is probably carrying 60+ lbs for a weekend hike trip that would cover about 10 miles, but would take half the weekend to do it.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools