Topic

Tents in carry-on luggage

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Tents in carry-on luggage

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Susan Hicks

@susanita

I want to carry my one man tent in a duffle bag on the plane. I've received conflicting advice. Will this pass screening?

Thanks,
    Susanita

Phil Barton
    BPL Member

@flyfast

Locale: Oklahoma

Susanita, the tent body will likely be just fine. But the TSA probably will not accept your poles and stakes.

Christine Thuermer

@chgeth

Locale: Germany

They will not allow any poles or stakes – I was not even allowed to take my trekkingpoles as carry-on luggage.

Jesse Glover

@hellbillylarry

Locale: southern appalachians

It seem strange that they wouldn't allow it. I have seen guys carry on fishing poles in hard tubes before.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Susan:

The above information is wrong.

You can carry a tent, tent poles, and tent stakes without problems. TSA does not prohibit them, and I carry them all the time. For a non-hunting backpacker, just about the only things you may not carry on are:

1. Hiking poles — must be checked.

2. Blades or Swiss army type multitools containing blade(s) — must be checked.

3. Bear sprays — must be checked (further restrictions apply)

4. Fuel — liquid or gas — cannot be carried on or checked. You'll have to buy your fuel at your ultimate destination. Note that a thoroughly cleaned stove is OK to carry on, as is one or two BIC lighters.

Click here for more details at TSA.

Christopher Holden
    BPL Member

@back2basics

Locale: Southeast USA

I can see where they might allow stakes in checked baggage, but I'd bet TSA will be looking to confiscate if found in carry on bags. I've lost several small screwdrivers this way: working until the last minute, then rush to the airport and forget I had one or two of those precision screwdrivers in my shirt pocket or computer bag. Vendors give them away, so I'm not concerned about the cost. It is frustrating when I can recall about a dozen or so confiscated tools in the years since 9/11/01.

Susan Hicks

@susanita

Thanks to all that replied. I chickened out and packed a duffle with the tent as checked baggage. Then I packed all the other things I definitely need in my carry-on backpack. I'm going to ask at the airport for future trips.

-Susanita

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Susan:

[Warning – Begin Rant] If you read all the above posts that say you can't carry on tent poles or stakes — not a single one speaks from actual experience or can point to an authoritative source. It's a real shame that folks have to chime in like this — adding nothing but more noise and confusion. It's no wonder that infrequent travelers are forever confused! [End Rant]

As an UL hiker, I lug one carry on all the time — checking in just my hiking poles and blade in a cardboard tube — which is available for purchase at all post offices. I have had TSA search through everything inside my pack (the guy said it was a "random" choice and I got picked) — and as expected, my tent poles and stakes and my cansister stove all passed actual TSA examination — no questions asked.

If you can fit everything as a carry on (excluding stuff like hiking poles and knives, of course) — then you should — because doing so eliminates the chance of the airline losing your pack and ruining your trip altogether. It also eliminates waiting at luggage line at both ends of each flight — outbound and return.

Susan Hicks

@susanita

Well I just called United and they said there was no problem with the tent in carry-on luggage. So … not sure what to do. I already packed the duffle for checking and it's getting late. But at least I got an answer.

-Susanita

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Susan:

It's your call, of course… but for me, I would definitely carry on the pack. Just knowing that your pack won't get damaged or lost enroute is well worth the repacking effort.

Either way, have a fun — and safe — trip!

Alexander Stair
    Spectator

@circakool93-2-2

Can we get an update on this? Did you have any issues?

Stuart .
    BPL Member

@lotuseater

Locale: Colorado

I carried a Hilleberg Enan in my carry on bag from SJC to DEN earlier this year. I taped up the stakes into a block, no sharp points showing, and I had no bother with TSA. However every airport is different, and you might be advised to allow extra time to check the bag if you're stopped at the checkpoint.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools