Topic

Solo 50-mile overnight – Western States Trail – California

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports Solo 50-mile overnight – Western States Trail – California

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

I'm currently training for my third run at the Western States 100.
    Last weekend I made a little 50-mile overnighter, above snow-line, for an early season glimps at the high country west of Squaw Valley.

Here's my short report, with gearlist:
    http://www.klaseklof.com/runs/08-LBM/

Hope you enjoy,

– Klas

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

Nice Klas! Would have liked to see more pics with gear and hiker, but scenes were great.

What no soap or sanitizer for post snow-tp hand cleanup? :-)

How are you liking the zilch pack?

Good luck with the race, the course looks fun. I used to live in Tahoe and love the spring up there.

–Jhaura

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I'm curious how well the Zilch handled when moving really fast/running? The gear list is wonderfully minimal. Thank you for the great photos as well. It always helps me to dream my way into the mountains from other's photos.

– Sam

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I'd also be curious to know if the zilch was modified to handle running with the pack. It probably did have the hipbelt and sternum strap.

Dylan Taylor

@nevadas

Locale: California Coast

I enjoyed the report.

i was wondering how it was melting out up there and now i have a good sense.

couple of things–

i think you are right about that one shot– tallac at center, dics (intentionally misspelled since site wont let me spell it correctly) peak next, then that grouping and then finally that peak is either mt price or pyramid peak. i will have to look at my topo when i get home from work though…

also, liked the photos of the bear tracks. first pic looked like a cub, second obviously an adult. they probably were together. but yeah, they are out and active this time of year b/c not a lot of food around up high. and they prob still are hungry from last year when it was super dry and not a lot to eat.

good luck on the race!

Chris Morgan
    BPL Member

@chrismorgan

Locale: Southern Oregon

Nice map, is that from a computer program?

Klas Eklof
    BPL Member

@klaseklof

Locale: Northern California

Hey, thanks everyone for the comments.

The zilch does alright.
    Yes on the sternum strap, but no belt.
    I add a longer length of shock-cord for a greater weave of compression.
    The only thing I have for comparison is my MLD Revelation.
    The zilch is wider, shorter, and sits higher on my back, which makes it the better pack for running.
    Its shortcomings are 1) the top closure system is messy and unsupportive when the pack is not full. 2) the straight/wide shoulder straps.
    The revelation's nice curved shoulder straps are more comfortable. Ron says he's working on a new one…

I had the map printed for me by http://www.mytopo.com/
    and I drew the route lines myself in photoshop.

I plan to climb Mt. Sill this summer, some say it has the best view in all the high sierra, and from the top, I will scream, "leave your soap at home!"

– k

Dave T

@davet

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

Klas,

Great report, all that amazing wilderness and wonderful trails to hike and run on (I’m envious). I live in the UK and just thought wow at your report. The photos where great and the minimal approach to your kit made insightful reading. I liked picture 20 we don’t have them following us over here. Good luck on the run.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Looks (and sounds) excellent! Makes me give WS another look, too.

Good luck next month.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools