Topic

Making stakes from titanium spokes?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Making stakes from titanium spokes?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

Has anyone tried it? How do they work?

Yes I have found a source for single titanium spokes:
    http://www.cambriabike.com/shopexd.asp?id=22521&page=DT+TITANIUM+SPOKE

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

I tried it but the spokes are too small in diameter and would only work in soft ground. I tried to use them for stakes for my titanium foil wind screen but had the same results. Also I don't think they're the right alloy and they bend fairly easily. They do make great bail handles and I have modified several of my pots.

I found a source at a local shop that focuses on racing bikes and has a box of used spokes that I can paw through for the least bent up. They charged me a dollar a spoke.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

thanks Denis. I will stick to buying 'real' titanium stakes.

Vick Hines

@vickrhines

Locale: Central Texas

Experience: not good. They are too thin and too short to bend into a U that would make them adequate. I have ended up using steel U stakes instead of straight titanium stakes because the Us hold better and small gauge steel U stakes weigh the same as 'standard' gauge titanium stakes – 0.3 to 0.25 oz. each.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools