Topic

Lesson learned in the Grand Canyon – Need a new backpack!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Lesson learned in the Grand Canyon – Need a new backpack!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I recently found myself in the vicinity of Grand Canyon. My trip came on short notice and with only a day to spend there, I quickly packed for a day-hike down Kaibab Trial to the junction with Tonto Trail and back.

Let me stop here to say that I’m an east coast hiker. In other words, I carry a bottle or small bladder for my water, which I can find a refill for almost anywhere, many times in the air around me (rain)!

Not being a complete idiot, I knew I had to carry lots of water. But, I wanted this to be a casual hike with minimal fuss. So, I packed a rather large fanny pack that I use for skiing, with 5 liters of water and snacks. Since I knew that I would begin early while temperatures were just above freezing at the rim and, would be in the mid 80’s by the time I turned uphill, I had just enough room to stuff the clothing that I stripped off throughout the trip as I drank the water. (I used collapsible canteens).

Not having carried any serious weight in a fanny pack before, I didn’t realize that there just isn’t enough gusto in that system to carry the weight of the water comfortably. The pack distorted under the load and my hips suffered for it, to the point that it was never off my mind even though being surrounded by all that splendor!

My main reason for not taking a small backpack is that I knew most of the hike would be hot and I hate the “sweaty back” syndrome. The fanny pack works great to avoid the sweaty back on summer day-hikes in the east, but now I know they don’t’ carry significant amounts of water very well.

This experience has me looking for a backpack that can handle the load of the water and still avoid the “sweaty back.” I’ve seen the Osprey Stratos line of packs that have a frame with a net and only the net comes in contact with your body, allowing air to flow next to your skin. Even though the 18 liter pack weighs 2.1 lbs., that might be the price I pay for the comfortable combination of load capacity and breathability. Osprey makes a 24 liter at 2.5 lbs., that also has compression straps which perhaps I could use for summer overnighters as well as day-hikes.

Does anyone have experience with these packs or know of an alternative pack that provides the same benefits?

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Last year I did the 70 mile High Sierra Trail to Mt. Whitney in Sept with the Z55 carrying about 34 to 36 lbs, carrying food for 1 week.

The Z55 is 3 lb 3 oz, 3300 cubic inches, and mesh panel across the back area. It also includes a hydration sleeve for a hydration system and has two handy hip belt pockets.

I carried this pack for 4 days, covering 70 miles and we did have some pretty warm days.

My back stayed cool and dry and it carried the load wonderfully.

Backpacker Magazine rated the pack as one of the most comfortable in any class.

The Z55 is considered a weekend pack, but applying light weight principles, it is more than enough for a weeks worth of food, gear, and large size bear vault.

I have recently switch to the lighter Jam2 for a 50% weight savings, but have not taken it out on the trail yet.

I am going to see if I can get used to not having that mesh panel to keep my back cool and dry.

Love my Z55, but at 3 lbs it is not really a light backpack.

Hope that this helps.

P.S. The Z55 is on sale at REI now for something like $135 vs. $200??

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

If your primary goal is to avoid a sweaty back, the gregory is a good choice (but not the lightest). I bought my girlfriend the Jade 50 with the jetstream suspension and she loves it.
    The Gregory 35 has the same mesh/space on the backpanel as the 50 and 55, it "might" be a better choice…HTH

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

For years MtSmith made essentially a set of suspenders for their fanny packs (these were not small either). One of my guy friends has them and they do work at keeping the pack in place, yet as you mention it…no sweaty back.

Richard Allen

@roninpb

One word: luxurylite.com.

UL Modular Frame packs. Say goodbye to sweaty back syndrome and be comfortable to well over 30lbs. I've read credible reports of up to 45lbs if used as intended by the OEM.

Caution: LuxuryLite gear requires a paradigm shift. Do *not* think that an LL pack (for example) is the same as any other external frame pack. If you're unwilling to spend a few minutes learning how to make optimal use of LL gear then do yourself a favor and move on.

Disclaimer: I do not have any vested interest in re LuxuryLite et al. :-)

BTW; if you really love fanny packs ask Bruce Warren (LL principal) about the fanny pack Richard built using LL components (pics available). You'll be pleasantly surprised. I'm surprised it's not on the market.

HTH.

Peace,

Richard.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

The "suspenders" Sarbar mentioned above are Mountainsmith Strapettes:

Ebags.com (and others) carry them.

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I have an Osprey Stratos 24 and an Osprey Stratos 40. Both very comfy and well ventilated packs. Would be great for large water loads.

David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

What about combining a camelback (for water) with your fanny pack (for food / clothes). Don't know the answer to the sweaty back thing. Maybe just strap two sections of a z-lite pad to the back of the pack / camelback? These are my cheap / low-tech solutions anyway :P LOL

Michael Davis

@mad777

Thanks to all for the advice. While looking at your suggestions on the REI website, I see that they now make a REI branded 30 liter pack with the mesh trampoline back panel similar to Gregory's and Osprey's. In fact, REI,s offers 150 cu.in. more than the Gregory 30 and weighs 5 oz. less! Of course, that is if you take REI's specs as fact: I've found them to be in error before. Since I don't have an REI near me, I'm wondering if anyone that is going there anyway might take a look at this pack and report there impressions.

Did I mention that the REI pack is $100 vs $130 for the Gregory and Osprey?

Thanks again for all your input and Richard, everytime I come aceoss a reference to LuxuryLite's pack system, I am always possitively intrigued!

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I recently bought an Osprey Talon 33. In terms of sweat, it's nice, definitely better than my old Jansport that sat directly on my back, but I still get sweaty back syndrome.

I've taken to wearing nylon shirts. They dry out pretty quickly. Cotton is definitely not comfortable with sweaty back syndrome.

On thing I do note about the pack straps is that, though well ventilated, they distort easily if one adjusts the upper adjustment tightly.

Wish it had zippered side pockets instead of the open pockets that are popular these days, but that's a pet peeve of mine. :)

Rick Dreher
    BPL Member

@halfturbo

Locale: Northernish California

Hi Michael,

Are you speaking of the REI Venturi 30? I fiddled with one at the local store yesterday while talking myself out of getting into the giant anniversary sale checkout line. It's clearly "inspired" by the Osprey Atmos packs, with a significant distance between trampoline and pack that should really ventilate well.

I was impressd by both the pack's design and competitive price. I might otherwise have suggested the Atmos 35 (which I own and like a good deal) but would have to ignore the big price difference, as well as the Atmos' odd shape that restricts capacity somewhat.

Good luck on your search.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Yes Rick, REI Venturi 30, that's the one!
    Now you are tempting me to get into that Anniversary checkout line (online version) and take a chance!
    I also have a few dividend bucks to help … the temptation is overwhelming!

Michael Davis

@mad777

I caved! The REI Venturi 30 is on it's way! I will do my duty and file a report once I put it through the paces.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools