Topic

Light back-pack for 45 pound load

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Light back-pack for 45 pound load

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Lawrence Vito

@winefood

Locale: Northern California

Hello All,
    On my last trip on the JMT, I used my Vapor Trail to carry 45 pounds of food and gear. Although the super light Vapor Trail (only 28 ozs.) is the most comfortable pack I have ever owned, it is not designed to carry more then about 28 pounds. As a result, my shoulders were killing me for the first half of the trip!

Can anyone recommend a lightweight pack that is designed to comfortably handle 45 pounds?

Your input will be appreciated!

Thanks – Larry

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Larry,
    I'm curious here…

I have a Vapor Trail as well and have found it excellent, even at higher weights. I'm 5'9" and use a medium pack. By shifting the weight between hip-belt and shoulder straps I am able to keep things comfortable.

Am I correct in assuming you do the same?

I can really haul on the 'load lifters' to the extent that there is virtually no strap contact on the top of my shoulders, if I choose to. All of the weight is suspended on the sternum strap, the front of the pack straps, and the pack body, plus the hip belt. I cycle through the various "load modes" on a regular basis.

How about some details on size and fit?

Lawrence Vito

@winefood

Hi,
    I adjust and shift the load regularly, from shoulders, to hips, to sternum, etc. And tried different load configurations. For me, its just to much weight.

Do you have any light-weight pack suggestions?

Thanks – Larry

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Nope.
    Sorry.

Hopefully others will chime in.

Dave .
    BPL Member

@ramapo

Hi Larry,

I have a couple suggestions that you might want to check out. I've been doing a lot of resaerch in this area for a trip to Glacier Park in which I'll be carrying a lot of shared gear with my girlfirend.

I selected the Nimbus Meridian for my trip, but my pack weight is about 34 lbs. I find this pack to be very comfortable with this weight, but I'm not sure how it would handle an additional 10 pounds.

I've also tried the ULA Catalyst which is very well constructed and I believe its specs say that it can handle 40 lbs. Personally I'm not able to get as good a fit (yet) with the Catalyst, but this is sure to vary from person to person.

Lastly, I think the Aether 60 might work really well for you. My brother has this pack and, if I were carrying more weight I'd have selected it. It's easy to dial in a great fit and, although it isn't ultralight strictly speaking, the fit and suspension are so great you wear the extra weight and don't really notice it. Plus, it's the only lightweight pack I know of that can handle 45+ lbs. without being overloaded.

Hope that helps.

-Dave

Dave T

@davet

Ross Bleakney
    BPL Member

@rossbleakney

Locale: Cascades

If you are willing to spend the money, McHale makes some great packs that are lightweight. All his packs are custom made (thus the higher cost). The big advantage is that you can just send him an email describing what you want (to carry 45 pounds as lightly and comfortably as possible) and he will design a nice pack for you.

Lawrence Vito

@winefood

No, I restocked and my weight for the last 12 days was 45 to start. Not fun with a Vapor Trail!

Art Sandt

@artsandt

I have a Mountainsmith Boundary that I think feels good at 45 pounds. After I removed the lid and cut out the "sleeping bag divider", it weighs in at just under 4 pounds. If I cut off the zippered side pockets, I could probably get it down to 3.5 pounds or less (though I don't want to at the moment because they offer good organization). The suspension is plenty adequate and the shoulder and hip straps are VERY generously padded. Also, the retail price is quite reasonable at about $150. The volume is listed at 75 liters, though I don't know if that includes the side pockets and lid. Still, plenty of room for a bear canister…perhaps too much room for an ultralighter, though.

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

The LuxuryLight pack will carry 45 pounds easily and it's a little less than 2.5 pounds.

S P

@highaltitude

I second the Mchale pack.

Joe Vigil
    BPL Member

@jvigil

For my heavy loads (45+), I use a Mountainsmith Auspex. I don't think they make them anymore; perhaps you can find one on the secondary market.
    Mine weighs 3lb 11oz and has about 4000ci capacity.

– JV

Jason Shaffer

@pa_jay

Locale: on the move....

A McHale LittleBigPack or Windsauk would be my first choice – no question. I sprang for one awhile back and love it.

My LBP weighs 39 oz, stripped of pockets but keeping all suspension components.

Michael Davis

@mad777

Locale: South Florida

I have a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone that I use for winter. I've had it up to just under 40 lbs. once and it carried the load wonderfully.

The Nimbus Ozone has a different and much sturdier frame than their Vaper Trail packs but they fit similarly and very comfortably for me.

The Nimbus Ozone weights in at 3 lbs. and has adjustable components.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

I love my McHale pack, truely worth the investment in time and money. I would also think a good option would be a ULA Catalyst.

John I know you meant 43oz for the ULA Catalyst. What material did you use on your LBP36, I went with the full dyneema. Having had back fusion surgery the Mchale pack is truely one of the better gear selections I've ever made, for longer trips with heavier loads this is my go to pack.

John Haley

@quoddy

Locale: New York/Vermont Border

I did an overnight hike, mostly during a snowstorm, in February. My hiking partner used a ULA Catalyst with a total pack weight of 43 pounds and claimed that it was comfortable… he's a big guy. I used a McHale 36LBP with only 30 pounds including water, and of course was very comfortable.

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

I would narrow your load down to two options. The Aether 60 is a great traditional pack for carrying heavier loads. The frame on The LuxuryLite also can carry heavy loads, but is a totally different feel and concept to traditional packs. I currently use the LuxuryLite frame and hipbelt with a GoLite Gust pack attached for supreme load carrying capacity, but my partner is sworn to the Aether 60.

John Haley

@quoddy

Thom… No, I did mean that he had a total pack weight of 43 pounds in the Catalyst and was comfortable with it. We hiked a considerable distance in poor conditions and it didn't seem to phase him.

My McHale is in full Dyneema with a custom featured double summit, 2 one liter (reduced size) bottle pockets, and a Dyneema Crest pocket.

Arriving at Destination

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

John,
    My mistake, it just so happens that the listed weight of the ULA Catalyst itself is 43oz, that is why I thought it was a typo. Nice McHale, wery much like my own.

Thom

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

My REI Cruise UL 60 size Large full Dyneema Cloth pack is very comfortable and a good pack for the money. I use REI ripstop Dyneema side pockets (& REI Fastex-type buckled short straps to attatch them)for extra room.

This pack has 2 internal stays and a prety decent waist belt plus several nice innovative features.

Eric

Ben Gardner
    BPL Member

@tasben

Locale: Tassie

Check out the AARN gear from New Zealand… not SUL but light compared to most and perfect for that load weight.

http://www.aarnpacks.com/

These are becoming popular in Aust. by many in the industry and are very comfortable.

Cheers

John Haley

@quoddy

Eric…
    The REI Cruise UL60 is not full Dyneema, it's "140-denier nylon ripstop construction provides increased durability without added weight; polyurethane coating for weather resistance" per REI's wording.

The material alone in FULL Dyneema would cost more than twice as much as the REI pack.

There are lot's of gridstop Dyneema packs on the market, but they, too, are not truly Dyneema packs either having 10% or less of the individual Dyneema treads in the material.

S P

@highaltitude

John (Quoddy),

How much does your LBP weigh stripped down without any of the added pockets and without the lid?

I am thinking about putting in my deposit and buying a LBP from Mchale but I get the feeling that getting an accurate weight of the pack before hand is not really going to happen.

John Haley

@quoddy

S P (High Altitude)…

OK, I stripped the pack apart and here are the weights.
    Pack capacity is approx 2500 CI expandable to 3000 CI using extention collar.
    Pack in my photo was at 2500.
    My Q-Bayonet lengths were 24+" adjustable to 23"

Pack (with double Dyneema bottom): 2lb 7 1/4oz

Double Summit (with hydration holder and built in bear canister holder): 9 1/8oz

Bottle Pockets (each… 1L sized): 2 1/8oz

Crest Pocket (Padded): 3 3/8oz

I received a message from Dan McHale reminding me that I have a pack that is longer than most (I'm long backed) and also that I chose some beefed-up options. The pack could be made considerably lighter for anyone concerned about weight on this model.

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

John,
    The pack weights you listed are very similar to my own full dyneema McHale LBP36 pack. Mine being slightly lighter (and less volume) is most likely the result of fit and stay length.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 32 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools