Topic

Question for quilt DIYers

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Question for quilt DIYers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    peter kvamme

@karacolor

Locale: midwest

I am about ready to make my own quilt, but would like some advice first. Most of the DIY quilts I see on this site have a sewn in footbox, but I would prefer to make one that can open completely flat. I sleep warm, particularly my feet, and would really like to have a flat quilt in the summer especially.
    MLDs
    XP Quilt is an example of the type of quilt I would like to make. (and I love all the detail photos they include. If I were to be buying gear instead of making, I would definitely shop at MLD)
    My question is, if I make this flat type of quilt what type of system do you suggest to keeping the footbox closed when conditions demand it?
    MLD uses snaps, is it feasible for me to use snaps? I dont know anything about them, but I have a bad feeling that a homemade attempt at snaps would end up cheap and flimsy.
    What about velcro, do you think it would hold well enough?
    I bought some low profile buckles to use on the webbing in the torso area, should I just use these in the footbox area too?
    Anything else I am not thinking of?

Any suggestions are more than welcome. Thank you!

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Velcro will hold it together up to the end of the strips and that's where it will come undone. I used velcro and then installed a single snap at the end of the strips and another snap up at the head end of the quilt to do a mummy style if needed. The snap install was really tuff until I bought the proper snap tool. Kinda like a rivet gun. With the tool is a snap (pun intended). You could also use a button.

Huzefa @ Blue Bolt Gear
    Spectator

@huzefa

Locale: Himalayas

I have posted some pics of my quilt here:
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/11935/index.html

This lacing design work great. I love its simplicity.

Good luck!

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I use velcro for both my footbox and to seal around my neck. Some sort of snap/tie would probably be good if your thrash a lot at night, but IME only the top inch or so has come undone without an anchor of any kind. OTOH the seal around my neck is usually very close to coming apart. I'll probably replace it with a short piece of rope or a snap.

I thought about adding straps in the midsection to my quilt when I made it but chose not to. Between the footbox and the neck attachment, it keeps my quilt sealed around me pretty well. Adding straps seems like it defeats the purpose of the the freedom of a quilt to me, but I see how it might be handy at the same time.

Adam

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

I made my quilt almost exactly like the MLD one. I used snaps over grossgrain like they did and it turned out awesome! I got my snaps & kit from OWFINC. My finished quilt is the most professional piece of kit i have made. The snaps are easy to use and look great.

I also put the straps in and they help when you push the quilt to its low limit and seal the draft perfect. when its warmer you just don't hook them up. My quilt is 53headx42footx84long and weighs 17oz with 2.5ozXP. It could be shorter and narrower at the foot which should get it to around 14/15oz, but i'm fine with it as is.

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Thanks for all the advice!
    I think I am going to use velcro, with a snap at the top as well as a snap at the neck. I bought a snap kit at the fabric store today for a couple dollars, hopefully everything works out!

One more minor question. Does everyone include a footbox "plug" (a little rectangle quilt to plug up the hole in the footbox that remains when it is cinched shut)? What size do you make it, and what do you think about attaching it with velcro? Doesnt seem like there would be a downside except for a little more potentially scratchy velcro on the quilt.

Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

I didn't bother with a "plug". I've used my quilt down to about 25*F and didn't feel like I needed one to stay warm. My footbox cinches pretty tight and I wear a little thicker sock to bed when its cold and haven't noticed any drafts there yet.

Then again I was trying to keep weight to a minimum and I figured a warm pair of socks that I could wear around camp was more versatile than a block of down that only helped in my quilt.

Adam

peter kvamme

@karacolor

Thanks again for the advice.
    I think I will wait to add a plug until it proves necessary, and at that time I could easily add one with velcro.

I will try post some pictures when the project is completed, hopefully within a week.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

you can stick your hiking sock in the hole if it is drafty, since you'll be wearing your sleep sox. thats what i do

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools