Topic

Rain mitts/ gloves: ideas?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Rain mitts/ gloves: ideas?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

Hey all,
    just wondering if you have any good DIY or cheap ideas for rain mitts, since I don't have time to order really good ones (like the MLD eVent mitts).
    I am thinking about dish gloves (don't laugh, it might work) or those heavy waterproof work gloves (but I would like lighter.)

Would love to hear your ideas, from a guy who gets cold hands and hates it.

rm

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Go down to the post office and pick up a few large priority mail envelopes. They are free (at least they are supposed to be free if you are going to use them for mailing). They are made of tyvek. They should be fairly waterproof, or very rain resistant. They might also be slightly breathable. You can sew the material or probably even glue it.

Dan

Brett Peugh
    BPL Member

@bpeugh

Locale: Midwest

Bread bags for just when you need it. Waterproof but not breathable. Cheap. Covers.

todd
    BPL Member

@funnymo

Locale: SE USA

Newspaper bags work just like bread bags (some are more durable than others) – not only for hands, but for feet in bad cold, too.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group

I swear I saw a link for using the Propore 3m Material to make mitts out of them somewhere — maybe at some ultralight fabric web site. One can buy the DriDucks rain gear sometimes at $10 (I bought a complete jacket/pants for $10 at latest sports show). That material could be used to make many such breathable, waterproof, ultralight mitts. Does anyone else know the link for the pattern for making your own rain mitts?

I think the link might be here:

http://www.questoutfitters.com/patterns-hat,sock,glove.htm#HAT,%20SOCKS,%20GLOVE%20PATTERNS

The pattern for SHELL OVERMITTS.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

http://www.ula-equipment.com/mist.htm

ULA makes some that look like they are made from the propore material or something similar. They are only $20, seems like a good deal.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I reviewed the ULA Rain Mitts for BackpackGearTest.org. I (and the other testers) thought they were great – breathe well, keep the bugs off, waterproof, lightweight, and only $20.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Moderator-JohnMuirTrail Yahoo Group

The ULA link was the one I was originally trying to remember. Thanks for the link. I just ordered a pair from ULA this morning.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

1. silnylon rain mitts at thepacka.com
    2. ula propore mitts mentioned above
    3. bread sacks or newspaper sacks
    4. tubular silnylon stuff sacks like the ones for thermarest
    5. food server gloves at dollar tree
    6. latex/rubber gloves at dollar stores

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

If you want to make it really simple, do what the Tibetans have done for centuries… elongate the sleeves of your rain jack and pull your hands inside. When not using the elongated ends of the sleeves, fold them over. Simple and effective.

Jonathan Ryan
    BPL Member

@jkrew81

Locale: White Mtns

That seems like a great method Miguel. If the sleeves were shaped correctly I bet you could still use trekking poles as well. I have an older Arc Teryx paclite shell with super baggy sleeves and it increase the overall breathability of the jkt tremendously.

New Wish List item: sub 10oz eVent anorak with a sleeve design like this.

Rob Mcrae

@emptyman

Locale: the other, big Ontario

John,

thanks for the pretty much exhaustive list.
    Yet another reason why I always bring at least 5 various sized plastic bags when camping. Whether for feet or hands or garbage or repairs, they really do come in handy.

thanks.

Frank Deland

@rambler

Locale: On the AT in VA

Do not skimp on this very important piece of gear. Even on the AT in NC this month, my hands were almost useless for small motor tasks around camp in the rain and not even very cold. Any thin waterproof covering can do wonders to keeping the hands warm and nimble.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Here's my choice.
    Tough,cheap,and light. The copy says water resistant but I would say at least highly water resistant. I've worn these through several rain and snow squalls without my liner gloves getting the least bit wet. 1.4 oz. for the pair.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!