Topic

Recommendations for Glacier NP in August

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Recommendations for Glacier NP in August

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Adam Rothermich
    BPL Member

@aroth87

Locale: Missouri Ozarks

It looks like I might be going to Glacier NP for a week this August. Since I've only ever hiked in Missouri, I thought I would tap the wealth of experience here.

I suppose I should preface by listing some of the gear I have. I've got a homemade down quilt that I've used into the upper 20's. I've got a poncho-tarp, a solo spinnaker tarp, and an 8×10 silnylon tarp. I've got a windshirt and synthetic insulating jacket (both Thru-hiker kits). I've got an older Marmot Precip that still works ok except for the heaviest down pours. Finally, I have a pair of Inov-8 Flyrocs that I get along well in.

So, what I'm asking you is what sort of conditions I might expect around mid-August. Should I invest in a good pair of rain gear? Should I get a bivy or go for a tarptent? Are Flyrocs going to be up to the task of the terrain? Am I worrying too much?

If anyone has advice I would be happy to hear it. Since I got my tax return I have a little extra cash to spare and gear seems like a good thing to use some of it for.

Adam

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

$50 for bear spray

David Palmer
    BPL Member

@djpfive

Locale: Arizona

And camera!

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've posted a number of good trip suggestions throughout the pages of BPL if you search for them. The trails in Glacier are well-maintained and I've hiked 2/3 of them in running shoes.

There is always the possibility of rain (or even snow) so for comfort's sake a tarp or tent will be nicer than a bivy. As with any backpacking trip in the Rockies one should always carry some insulating gear (warm hat, puffy coat or fleece) and a sleeping system good to forty deg F or so).

Much of the water in Glacier can be consumed without treatment so you only need carry minimal treatment such as Aquamira or Klearwater. Bear bagging is required everywhere in the park so remember to pack the proper equipment for the job.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools