Topic

Sleeping bag storage question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Sleeping bag storage question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

OK – I feel silly but anyway. Do you think that there is any difference in (a) storing a sleeping bag flat under a bed (on a sleeping pad) or (b) in the storage sac, folded in three (and obviously not further compressed. Any version better?
    Thanks!
    Sven

John G
    BPL Member

@johng10

Locale: Mid-Atlantic via Upstate NY

I have 2 Sierra Designs 20 deg 3-D bags that I've stored in their cotton storage sacks between hikes for 11 years now. I'd estimate that the storage sacks compress the bags approximately 20%-ish. I haven't noticed any decrease in loft from storage.

The bags have lost about 25% of their original loft over the 11 years, but the loses all seemed to happen on hiking trips so I assume the loft loss is from stuffing them. I used their included stuff sacks until last year when I switched to just stuffing them into the bottom of the pack without stuff sacks.

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

Of the two choices you present, I like the idea of having them laid out under the bed- as long as it's less dusty under your bed than under mine.
    It seems that having the bag laid out full length would HAVE to be better than being at all confined in the storage bag- I don't like the idea of folding carefully in 3rds, I know there's not agreement on this (or anything other than that Cotton is Death) but I was brought up in the stuffing-randomly-causes-less-wear-than-folding-along-the-
    same-lines-all-the-time school. I've been thinking of switching to having them hang full length somewhere- if I can think of the good 'where'- but I've always just had them stuffed loosely in their storage bags on a dry and roomy shelf.

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Thanks Liz and John – I was also wondering about the dust …
    it gets dusty under a bed indeed. Not sure if the "hurts" the bag. I do put something underneath them, but not on top (to protect them). Not sure if I should. BTW I think that I need a third bed to lay all of our bags flat … (we have six).
    Cheers,
    Sven

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

Thanks Liz and John – I was also wondering about the dust …
    it gets dusty under a bed indeed. Not sure if the "hurts" the bag. I do put something underneath them, but not on top (to protect them). Not sure if I should. BTW I think that I need a third bed to lay all of our bags flat … (we have six).
    Cheers,
    Sven

James Lantz
    BPL Member

@jameslantz

Locale: North Georgia

I have only observational perception to support this, but my GoLite Ultra 20 top bag seems to loft much better when hung by its footbox loop than when stored flat. Perhaps a placebo controlled double blind crossover study should be performed :)

Denis Hazlewood
    BPL Member

@redleader

Locale: Northern California

Bags are best stored by hanging from the little loops at the foot. That said, I store my synthetic bags, loosely rolled, in their storage sacks and stood on end. My 900 fill down, North Face Beeline, is stored by hanging and lightly wrapped in a sheet.

A B

@sheilabaynes

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

I don't think you will find any significant difference whether stored flat, hung, or kept in an oversize storage sack like most manufacturers supply.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

I don't have room to lay out my bags anywhere but the attic. Any thoughts on the pros and cons of attic storage?

It's not super dusty up there, but I could put a sheet over the bags. It's dark and dry in the attic, and I've never seen any sign of rodents, but it is hot up there.

Your feedback and insights appreciated. :)

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Locale: Midwest

I store all my bags in the 54 gal bins, the biggest I could find. They are doubled over in the bins and well protected from dust or anything else. They loft almost fully in these using a 10 degree bag. Also, I can stack the bins so I have more places where I can store them.

Compare a brand new Versalite to a FF Lark. The Lark is about 11 years old. I do not see any loss in loft.

FF WM1

FF WM2

FF WM3

FF WM4

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

And where do you store the bins? Attic? Closet? Garage?

The stacking concept sounds really good.

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

Jim,

They are currently in the basement. But I have had them in all the places you mentioned. The storage bins keep the dust and bugs out no matter where I store them but the basement is probably the best place in my house compared to the garage or attic. I have never used the cotton storage bags.

If I had the closet space, I might hang them….but for $20/bin I can put them where ever I have space. And protecting the expensive sleeping bags is worth it.

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Thanks; good info. 54 gallons? I'll look for those. Hopefully the heat in the attic won't hurt them.

Thanks again!

Brian Johnson

@sirclimbsalot

http://www.rubbermaid.com/rubbermaid/product/product.jhtml?prodId=HPProd2949118

I think the one I bought for my new versalite was $20 at Walmart.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools