Topic

Henrys new Tarptent

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Henrys new Tarptent

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    David Lewis
    BPL Member

@davidlewis

Locale: Nova Scotia, Canada

Thanks for all the info Henry. Looks like a great shelter for the price and the use of Tyvek is very interesting.

With regards to this comment…

"You have plenty of other heavier and more expensive shelter choices if you want vestibules and mesh doors and built-in hot tubs."

Point taken. Problem is that "The One" offers a mesh door and vestibule for the same weight. Can't argue with the "more expensive" point. The price of "The One" is a little hard to swallow! I heard talk of a cuban fiber version… I can only imagine the price of that sucker!!!! $500??? (wild guess).

The Sublite looks like an amazing deal. But I'm not sure it would be appropriate here on the east coast… where all night horizontal rain is not at all uncommon :-(

Josh Leavitt
    BPL Member

@joshleavitt

Locale: Ruta Locura

Looks awsome Henry! Nice work.

Does it have a flashlight clip ;-)

Josh

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Locale: Colorado Rockies

>>I am not doubting 'The One's' pitch strength but I have found that the 'V' created by hiking poles to be a bit stronger than the two poles being propped up by many guy lines.

I agree that the upside down V is a very strong and stable configuration for trekking poles. A couple of weeks ago, an intense wind storm arose in the middle of the night. I'm not sure of the speed but the wind sounded like a freight train moving through the trees. My silshelter stood like a rock.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Dondo, Henry stole your idea from your ID silshelter..lol.

jk Henry…

Though I wish Shires would make one with the poles in the middle (similar to Montbell Monoframe Diamond pole placement) with squared ends instead of pointed (or pointed at head and squared at foot end). And floorless. That would be interesting. Setup may be hampered by widest part where poles are.

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

….and I got my idea from the "sildiamond" comment you made several months ago. ;-)

t.darrah
    BPL Member

@thomdarrah

Locale: Southern Oregon

Ron Bell, MLD, has a 2005 picture posted on his site of a spinnaker "Spirit" shelter that was supported by duel exterior trekking poles and looks somewhat similar to the Sublite. Anyone have additional pictures or information, was this shelter ever sold or just a prototype?

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

I'm curious how many folks use adjustable poles that are not the full length 140cm types?

I know they make some compact/women's models that are shorter, but don;t really know the ratio of 140 vs 135 vs 125's vs fixed lenght etc.

Anyone care to make a guess based on trail observation?

Dondo .
    BPL Member

@dondo

Sounds like you have something up your sleeve, Ron. ;-) I'm thinking that many of your potential customers, who are seeking the lightest of the light, may already own some of the shorter poles to save weight. In the above photo I'm using Pacer Poles, which are pretty long. Even then I had to open them to just beyond the "Stop Max" point to get good head room. So a lower and/or narrower design may be needed for hikers using some of the shorter poles.

Viewing 8 posts - 26 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools