Topic

kinsman weights

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear kinsman weights

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

Locale: philadelphia PA

i just made my second kinsman with 1.8 oz and it wieghts the same as the one made out of 2.5oz. 9.5 ounces medium relax cut.

Ulrika Dahlin

@ulrika

Congratulations on completing your second Kinsman!

Can I ask you how long time it took to make both the first and second time?

Was it hard to make?

Stuart Burke

@burkest

Locale: Collegiate Peaks Wilderness

Does the 1.8 primaloft have a scrim on it? I don't think scrims are usually counted in the stated weight and that could account for your kinsmans having the same weight.

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

the 1.8 ounce does have the scrim . being unfamiliar with the 1.8 i stuck with the scrim for ease of handling.to answer the first question the kinsman is challanging ,hard but doable. plus paul at thru hiker is very helpful and patient.read the instructions very carefully for me that ment 5 or 6 times

Jim Colten
    BPL Member

@jcolten

Locale: MN

being unfamiliar with the 1.8 i stuck with the scrim for ease of handling

I've worked with both PL Sport and PL1 and IMO it's good you kept the scrim. You can discard PL Sport's scrim if you quilt just a little but PL1 is much more fragile and requires much more stabilization. I think you COULD have carefully removed one scrim layer if you wanted to do the extra work of quilting the jacket's lining to the PL1 in place of the scrim but that's a fair amount of quilting.

The above opinion is consistent with Ayce's advice.

You may not have saved weight vs the 2.5 oz but I bet the 1.8 oz version compresses much smaller.

brian fitzmartin

@brianfitz

yes the 1.8 does compress more but the 2.5 makes a great pillow when not needed fo insulation. i made the 1.8 oz. to keep in the car ,it's nice to have a jacket handy some times

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools