Topic

Dinner Recipes with Olive Oil

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition Dinner Recipes with Olive Oil

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I'd like to see this thread feature your favorite dinner recipes that use olive oil to get a substantial amount of calories.

To get the ball rolling…

Chili Mac for 1 (680 calories)

Add 1.25 cups of water and 0.5 cups of elbow pasta in your pot, bring to a boil, add 0.5 cups of bean mix*, bring to boil again, shut off the stove, and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and salt/pepper/Tabasco to taste.

At the end of the meal I use my fingers to eat the excess from the pot and clean it with a cup of water and my fingers as well; no soap required. The reason that this works, despite adding 2 tablespoons of oil, is that all of the oil gets absorbed into the bean mix.

*1/4 cup dehydrated chili mix and 1/4 cup dehydrated refried beans, both sold in bulk at Berkeley Bowl.

Elizabeth Rothman

@erothman2

Locale: Pacific NW

Yum! Think it would work in the freezer bag mode: pour boiling water on the whole thing at once and let it sit and think about attaining perfection for ten or fifteen minutes?

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Hi Elizabeth,

I think you ought to put the pasta and water together, and bring it to a boil before pouring it into the freezer bag. If you don't, I'm afraid the bean mix might take too much of the water and leave you with undercooked noodles.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Hehheh…I put olive oil in nearly every meal I make on the trail! A drizzle makes everything better ;-)

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Hi Sarah,

I purchased your cookbook a while back and am looking forward to your next edition. Hopefully it will have recipes that will use about 2 tablespoons of olive oil per person per meal, not just a drizzle.

Casey

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

Locale: Sunny Central Ohio

my favorite camp meal is angel hair whole wheat pasta soaked in olive oil and covered with parmesean cheese. More calories than I can count but it taste great after a long hike day.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Joe,

Is the 'angel hair pasta soaked in olive oil' a no-cook meal?

Casey

Dave T

@davet

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Lol…when I say drizzle, you can say soak it :-D Heh!
    A longtime ago I didn't carry oil and in the past 3 years I don't even go on dayhikes without my 4 ounce bottle of the golden de-lite. It is scary in a way how much a little oil makes you have so much more energy!

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

sorry casey, "soaked" should could be replaced with "drenched." I do cook the pasta (I use ramen if freezer bagging) and then toss in 3-4 tablespoons of oil. After the oil is well mixed, start adding in the parmesean. if you dump it all at once, the cheese will clump. sufficient olive oil should help coat each noodle with the perfect amount of cheese-tastic calories :)

Joe DeLoss

@goinggrindel

Just found that Subway has individual packets of olive oil. They will provide them for catering jobs with sandwiches and salads.

At the end of a work event I was able to get several dozen packets and am eager to put them to use!

Mike Clelland

@mikeclelland

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
    b hitchcock
    Spectator

@slowoldandcold

on a cold night -i take a big swig from the bottle before sleeping—sometimes when very tired with no appetite this is all i will have

Lynn Tramper

@retropump

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna

Pesto pasta!!! YUM. My all time favourite, don't hold back on the olive oil, parmesan, basil or pinenuts!!!

Sarah Welton

@campgirl

Love olive oil! We have the packets up on the site if you need them:

http://www.packitgourmet.com/Atlantic-Organic-Organic-Extra-Virgin-Olive-Oil-p11.html

There's also a canola/olive oil blend available. Not as healthy but sometimes useful.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools