Topic

Shoes are wrecking our feet?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Shoes are wrecking our feet?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Interesting article today in NY Magazine talking about shoes and the health of our feet:

http://nymag.com/health/features/46213/index.html

Discusses the mechanics of walking and how the padding, the raised heel, and inflexibility lead to other problems. Especially intriguing in light of the ultralight switch from boots to shoes, and recent product developments like the Inov8's line of trail "slippers", the Nike Free models, and the Vibram Five Fingers.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Maybe going barefoot was good in the days before the invention of concrete, glass and nails..not anymore : )

Mark
    BPL Member

@mlarson

Locale: SoCal

Yep, it's a harsh world for feet. I don't think I'd want to go bare everywhere outdoors. But I think it's a cool parallel with ultralight philosophy… Part of it just getting back to the basic understanding and mechanics of walking, and also to think more consciously about the shoes we choose, and how they affect other parts of your body besides the feet. Kind of like when selecting gear, you add an ounce here, a little reinforcement there, an extra something to compensate for that other thing, something more for fashion's sake… It's all a system.

-Mark

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

It's only when you do something barefoot like Yoga or a martial art that you realise who weak our feet and ankles really are.

Hiking books and heavy footwear will often mask a failure of feet to do the job and heavy and badly loaded packs do not help.

Moving to lightweight footwear forces your feet to do their job.

I've recently seen photos of nepalise sherpas carrying huge loads on their backs over rocky terrain wearing only cheap sneakers. Some of them are carrying 80% + loads….

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

I guess Cody Lunden (?sp) the survival guy does go barefoot most of the time.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools