Topic

Clothing and Hygiene for Feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Clothing and Hygiene for Feet

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeremy Greene
    Spectator

@tippymcstagger

Locale: North Texas

I read plenty of packing lists and sometimes the phrase "spare socks" is used. I assume this means "change of socks," rather than some emergency supply.

I hope to read a little more about this. Please discuss your methods and artifacts as well as environment.

How many socks do you wear and carry? Do your shoes breath? Do you change socks once a day, more than once a day, just leave them on for a week? When, how, and how often do you wash your socks? What about your feet? Do clean socks go on clean feet?

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

Hey Jeremy,
    I bring 2 pairs of hiking socks and 1 pair of sleeping(thick) socks.

I wear one pair during the day. Then wash my feet and socks at night – I then wear my other pair the next day, allowing the first pair of socks to fully dry overnight and the next day (attach to outside of pack if they are still very wet/damp in the morning). I sleep in the same socks everynight after I clean my feet. :)
    Sometimes, if it's really hot…I change my socks at lunchtime and wash them, then stick them on my pack to dry.
    I used to bring only 2 pairs of socks – one to sleep in and one to hike in. But…then one time I washed both pairs and it was so damp that they didn't dry for a couple of days, so the extra 1.4 oz is worth another set.
    HTH

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

For three-season hikes, I usually just wear my one pair of hiking socks, and carry a very lightweight pair of liner socks for sleep wear (to help keep my bag cleaner). One pair for hiking is sufficient for me because I don't get blisters from hiking in wet socks/shoes (YMMV). Also, no matter how soiled, it's fairly easy to wash a pair of socks and have them dry overnight. Again, for me, even if the socks should remain damp the next day, that doesn't bother my feet. At the end of the hike, when riding back home with others, I may change into my sleeping socks to avoid stinking up the entire car. :)

For winter hikes where keeping dry is critical, I will carry extra pair(s) of hiking socks.

Richard Matthews

@food

Locale: Colorado Rockies

Steve,

I use your exact system. I also use that sytem for gloves in the winter. I rotate the use of two pair of fleece gloves, but have shell gloves and heavier gloves in a waterproof stuff sack buried in the pack.

Bens system works fine, but a change of socks is a real treat.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools