Topic

Is going barefoot healthier?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Is going barefoot healthier?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Author
    David Thul

@thuldj

Locale: Rocky Mountains

I have been running and hiking mostly barefoot for about 2 years now.

In high school I suffered a torn meniscus and fractured tibia while skiing and that pretty much ended my running, too much pain. Come to find out, I just needed to run correctly, more mid-foot striking and no heel striking (this technique is explained everywhere barefoot running is discussed).

I have been pain free for 2 years. No injuries. Not even any abrasions or cuts on my feet. Basically I run ~15% barefoot, 65% in Vibram FiveFingers or homemade Huaraches and 20% in Shoes (mostly La Sportiva trail runners like the Crosslite or Skylite). Oh, and my mileage can vary from 30 to 100 miles per week so its tough to argue distance matters.

I cover all surfaces from trails, to tar, to cement to granite blocks even gravel. Its amazing to feel the difference under your feet. One dirt trail in Chataqua Park in Boulder is dirt but feels harder than cement due to the traffic. So I don't really buy the "we can't walk on modern surface barefoot argument". And others are always worried about glass, I mean if you can't see some glass and avoid it, you probably need to pay more attention to your surroundings in general.

I wouldn't say it is the cure for everyone. Some people (but still few overall) just have serious problems that need to be addressed by footwear. But, I think people might be astounded by how their chronic injuries might go away when foot and ankle strength are built.

I will watch the discussion and address any questions, if you want more info, let me know.

Robert Devereux
    Spectator

@robdev

Locale: Pittsburgh, PA

I'm waiting for the KSO to get (back?) in stock in my size. I think I've got about a one month wait.

I've been looking for something for casual or work wear. Besides leather soled moccasins, are there other flexible soled shoes? I'm a bit intrigued by the Patagonia Toast & Jam shoe. It is a leather upper with a removable sole. It has a removable plastic frame, it would probably better without it.

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I'm intrigued by the five fingers, but about foot odor? Wouldn't they get really smelly?

Scott Bentz
    BPL Member

@scottbentz

Locale: Southern California

I have seen Barefoot Ted in action. Last year I was hiking in the Angeles Forest with my dog on a usually quiet trail. I then had to move over for a few guys running downhill, then some more, and more. It was an ultra-distance run (44km I think). Then along came this barefoot cat. The trail is often hardpack with some areas that are pure rocks. When I got to the top of my trail I asked the volunteers about the barefoot guy and they said, " Oh, you mean Barefoot Ted". It is quite funny to see it. There was at least one other woman doing the same (barefoot Alice?). Anyway, I guess if you do it a lot you can do it. I spend a lot of my summer barefoot at the beach and lakes but never considered hiking since I don't get the chance to do enough of it.

Can't tell you if I have normal feet or not.

Damien Tougas
    BPL Member

@dtougas

I find that wearing the Injinji Nuwool socks in my FiveFingers pretty much eliminates the odor problems.

Haley Brown

@okirun

I just made the decision to give up shoes 3 days ago. Yesterday I walked 3 miles on rough ground in 36 degree weather (sort of to prove to my friends that I could) and the skin of my feet became sore, but there were no cuts or punctures or blisters or ANYTHING. It's been surprisingly easy so far. Also, sometimes my knees and ankles twinge, or my hip feels strange, but that hasn't happened at all since I started to go without shoes. My feet feel warmer too. (Better circulation?) It's also been very easy to avoid stepping on things I don't want to, and not a nuisance at all.

I'm planning to go on a backpacking trip this way in a couple months. I think I will bring the most lightweight Teva sandals I can find, because Tevas have proven themselves to me and I know I can hike in them without pain, but I think I will be able to hike better barefoot.

Sometimes with Tevas and other shoes I slip and fall, but I've been realizing I feel much more sure-footed when there's nothing between me and the ground. I read that the reason people often twist their ankle when they hike is because the sole of the shoe does not provide a sturdy enough platform because it doesn't conform to the ground shape and your foot can slip on the top of it. I guess that's why people wear those big ankle-covering boots. (I've never worn those.) But if dogs can go on trips like this with no shoes, I don't see why I can't, especially since I'll have had a couple months' practice by then. I have read some peoples' claims that they can crush glass and step on thistles with no problem, and I believe it can be done. Plus it is much less weight to carry and walking in water is no problem.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

I want to try these bad, but what about people who's second toe is slightly longer than the big toe?
    It seems these are designed to fit generic proportioned feet only.

b hitchcock
    Spectator

@slowoldandcold

haley i wish you luck—i wore no shoes for 7 years—lived in the country with no car and probably walked 30 + miles a week just in the course of normal life–going to the shop/pub/friends/etc—ocasionally i might walk to town and back 15 miles—my feet were tough—but there was some rough rock types that i could never walk over easily—-anyone thinking of barefoot walking has to realise there will be a long toughening up period and even after that there will be some places where it will be better to wear shoes—i wear terrocs now and find my toes open and feel the ground– a bit like pressing your hand on a table with your fingers with spread apart—-this reminds me of my barefoot days and seems like a reasonable compromise between barefoot and shoes

Adam M.

@adamm

Locale: British Columbia

Hi Brian,

I have Morton's toe and two different sized feet. My left foot is a US 9 and my right foot US 8 measured on a Brannock Device (shoe size scale). I have been using the FF KSO's in size 40 for over a year for run's up to 40 or so minutes, some day hikes and in the gym. I work full time barefoot.

They fit great, no sizing issues, no blisters, no problems. If I didn't get such odd looks they would be my only choice of footwear.

give em a shot, they're great.
    Adam.

Brian UL

@maynard76

Locale: New England

Thanks thats what I wanted to hear!
    I just need to drive into the city to try them on in person.

Scott McClure

@scottmphoto

Locale: The beautiful Arkansas River Valley

I like my boots while on the trail. If it's warmer weather, I might go barefoot around camp just to let my feet air out. I sometimes wear sandals if the terrain is rocky in camp.

Matt Lutz

@citystuckhiker

Locale: Midwest

I punt too many rocks while hiking to seriously consider giving up shoes on trail. The rocks don't move, by the way. Hiking sans shoes would render me toenail-less.

Sarah Kirkconnell
    BPL Member

@sarbar

Locale: Homesteading On An Island In The PNW

Matt, I agree with you! In summer of 2006 I wore sandals while hiking. I did some real numbers to my feet. I have wondered though – had I been fully bare foot I might have been more careful. Yet, the thought of stepping on a sticker bush would have sucked as well ;-)

I keep flip flopping about getting a pair of Fingers. I love wearing Injini socks so it wouldn't feel weird!

Viewing 13 posts - 26 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools