Topic

Chicago: Topographical Wasteland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Chicago: Topographical Wasteland

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Jed Augustine
    BPL Member

@jaugusti

Locale: Appalachians/Rockies

Dear BPL community,

My friends and are trying to plan a quick jaunt away from Chicago to enjoy a little backcountry and a little topography. We were thinking about going to Mammoth Cave National Park and staying away from the popular areas. Looking at the map, I was thinking I could take them bushwhacking down to the Green River following drainages and using a map. Educational and fun! But maybe spring has already advanced too far to allow us to do that easily…

Can y'all suggest alternative locations? We will will have 2 1/2 days at the most to get to, enjoy, and return from our location, so the closer to Chicago the better.

I hope all is well with everyone,

Jed

Michael Mangold

@mkmangold

Jed: closest, southern and northern units of the Kettle Moraine in Wisconsin. Are you coming from the city or suburbs?
    Next, best but much farther, would either be Nicolet National Forest in northern Wisconsin or Shawnee National Forest in southern Illinois. Right now, if you want comfort, head south.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools