Topic

Bivvy sack with Tarp Tents ?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Bivvy sack with Tarp Tents ?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    kevin davidson

@kdesign

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson

One can use Gossamer Gears 1.3 oz. polycryo groundcloth instead of tyvek.It’s what I now use
    underneath tarptents or for tarp camping when not using a bivy.

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Ah… got it. Sorry that I was confused. I am used to ground cloths being something like 1-2oz. Like Kevin I have most recently been using a GG polycryo groundcloth which is 1.3oz (love it). You are right that the the bivy will provide more options than a simple groundcloth for around 5oz. Worth it? In some conditions, yes. I am using my bivy a lot? Nope. Haven’t felt the need since I stopped using my poncho/tarp.

John Chan

@ouroboros

Mark,

I think the extra 5 oz is worth it… for the versatility.

Often I find myself extending the hike past sundown and my intended campsite lacking in enough space to pitch the tarp. In this case, all I look for is a soft spot large enough for the bivy and stake it down while raising the hood with an overhead branch.

Of course it also helps that I carry a 10 oz shortwave radio thats tuned to Environment Canada forecasts to tell me if this scheme is potentially uncomfortable for the night… but bear bag hanging is enough of a chore without sunlight that I find using the bivy sac alone a refreshing alternative to setting up the tarp after an extra long day.

Ryan Faulkner
    Spectator

@ryanf

I dident read the whole forum so I dont know if this was already mentioned but I would recomend a bivy/poncho tarp combo. since you have a waterproof floor on your bivy you dont need a ground cloth or tent floor. and the weight savings of using your shelter as your rain gear is substantial. you may think that you need to be an experienced tarp camper to use a poncho tarp but that is not true because you have the extra weather protection of the bivy. And me personally went from using a tent straight to this combo,(equinox mummy bivy/golite poncho tarp)with out anny problems.
    so if you are looking to cut weight off your shelter this is the way to go

(for extra protection use a fully water proof montbell breeze dry tech bivy sack)

Mark Verber
    BPL Member

@verber

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

John…

I understand why why you like a bivy. Most of my summer backpacking is in reasonably dry conditions (dew is rare), so in the condition that I would just use the vapor bivy (no tarp), I put down my groundcloth and sleep under the stars.

Ryan…

A poncho/bivy is a very good combination… but the weight savings is no necessarily “substantial”. In my UL mode I switched from using:

dancing light gear poncho/tarp 9oz + BMW vapor bivy 6.5oz [15.5oz]

to a

gg spinnshelter 9oz + Polycro groundsheet 1.3oz + rainshield rain jacket 4.5oz + rain knickers 3oz – windshirt 3oz [14.8oz]

Of course there are lighter ponchos these days, so I might saved a couple of ounces. But I hated using a poncho as my rain gear so this would have been a good trade-off for me even if I was adding some weight.

–mark

Adam McFarren

@amcfarre

Your second set of gear comes out to 20.8 oz, not 14.8.

I’ll let others decide if 5.3 oz is a “substantial” savings.

The poncho/bivy setup does offer wind and bug protection that your second list doesn’t.

-adam

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools