Topic

Titanium vs. Aluminum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Titanium vs. Aluminum

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

> Don't forget that Titanium cook wear is actually an aluminum – titanium blend. Ti pots are not 100% Ti- keep that in mind if you want to avoid aluminum.

Yes, but don't Ti pots self anodize with use? At least that's what I've heard.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

> My understanding is that aluminum pots should be HA so that the aluminum won't get into your food.
    Nah, it's just easier to clean HAA.

Risk? ZERO.
    The whole aluminium/Alzheimers things was a great beat-up. Check with Snopes or an Alzheimers Ass'n. The source was an UN-refereed MSc thesis in which the author found aluminium on brain plaques and claimed that it caused Alzheimers. It turned out that the sample preparation procedure used by the author PUT the aluminium there.

Aluminium is one of the most common elements on the planet. You get vast amounts in your ordinary everyday food, and excrete it out. You use it in your anti-perspirants, and other cosmetics. It is used to clarify your drinking water. We have evolved with it for millions of years.

But there are always journos and freaks who love a scandal.

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
    BPL Member

@tallbloke

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!

I used to eat aluminium pots.
    I can't remember how many times this has been raised on BPL. There again, I have trouble remembering most things…

Hikin’ Jim
    BPL Member

@hikin_jim

Locale: Orange County, CA, USA

> Risk? ZERO.
    The whole aluminium/Alzheimers things was a great beat-up.

Roger, I thank you. I was always a little hesitant with my old non-HA aluminum cookware, wondering about Al exposure even though I figured my exposure rate was fairly low. Now, I can get my dad's old vintage Al cooking gear off the shelf and use it once in a while. :)

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

Acidic foods cooked in non-anodized aluminum pots can pick up quite a bit of aluminum, especially if you store it in the pot overnight. It then has an unpleasant 'metallic' taste. Mostly, aluminum pots acquire a layer of aluminum oxide which is pretty inert.

The whole alzheimer's story turned out to be incorrect.

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Locale: Midwest

I love my Titanium mugs,pots, and wouldn't even think of going back to Alum.

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

The OP mentions that he/she is operating under an extremely tight budget. I am/was in the same situation and got myself some cheap AL Snow Peak pots that were on sale (900 and 1400). I love them because I don't know any any better… the idea of shelling out $35-45 for a mug and even more for a pot is just not going to happen for me personally in the next few months.

Also I think you can do better than the $20 you mentioned for the SP 900 AL pot… should be little below $15 on sale

. Callahan
    BPL Member

@aeronautical

Locale: London, UK.

Given the choice of packing my HA Trek Kettle or MSR Titan, I take the Titan, noticeable weight difference and a growing preference for titanium being the main reason.

I'd save for the Ti, I find the Snow Peak and MSR Ti pots to be really good.

An economic way of getting Ti cookware is to buy the Snow Peak Ti plate and bowl, which double as cookware really well, my ultralight, minimalist kit is the Snow Peak Ti plate, bowl and 450 single wall mug, which work for cooking and water boiling.

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Locale: Outside

The msr Steel alpine bowl weighs less than many same sized ti kits and costs 8 bucks. Msr alpine bowl 3.6 ounces and .8 liters vs titan kettle 4.2 ounces .85 liters save 40 bucks adn get a lighter kit. Ali

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Deleted.

Michael, please remember that we have minors reading these channels.

Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

PS: Ali – :-)

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Ok Roger, before I get grounded I had nothing to do with this. :( Ali

Walter Carrington
    BPL Member

@snowleopard

Locale: Mass.

For cheap and light pots for boiling water, the IMUSA mugs and grease pot are a couple dollars:
    https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html
    80mm mug 1.8 oz $2.50
    100 mm mug 2.4 oz $3.50
    120 mm mug 3.4 oz $4.50.
    (no lids, use thin aluminum).
    He has the equivalent of the walmart grease pot, but I prefer the IMUSA mugs.
    All of these are suitable for boiling water. If you're doing any real cooking, a real pan is better.

cary bertoncini
    Spectator

@cbert

Locale: N. California

everything i've read says it's undecided whether aluminium is a factor or not: the connection has neither been established to be valid nor invalid

regardless, like a lot of other naturally occurring materials, aluminum in certain quantities can be no problem and above a certain point can be a problem

i had a series of thorough tests done a couple years ago & aluminium was among a few things that tested above the normal range, so i'm trying to avoid extra intake as much as possible (aluminium, mercury, nickel, strontium and a couple others i forget now were elevated – calcium & magnesium showed chronically low)

i don't worry about cooking in aluminium every now & again, but for my primary pot, i go with titanium, partly because of the reduced exposure to aluminium

Michael Fogarty
    BPL Member

@mfog1

Quote:
    "Ok Roger, before I get grounded I had nothing to do with this. :( Ali"

Ali,
    This reply was not intended for you, (read back a few posts)

Sorry

Ali e

@barefootnavigator

Micheal, I know it wasnt. I was just teasing Roger. Ali

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"No need for name calling, … "

Absolutely hilarious.
    Or very, very sad.

True, but let's not make it worse.
    Roger Caffin
    Online Community Monitor
    Backpacking Light

Rene de bos

@piemel

Locale: SF Bay Area

Wow, I guess people are offended by that age old saying we have here in the States …

"It's the Economy Stupid" etcetera?

Sorry.. it was not my intention to offend

Steve O

@hechoendetroit

Locale: South Kak

I think the jury is still out on this one.

A quick search through google scholar for recent articles turns up a few (although I was just looking at abstracts of course) that are claiming a possible link.

here's an example:
    "High consumption of aluminum from drinking water may be a risk factor for Alzheimer's disease." 2009
    http://aje.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/169/4/489

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

Chris, you mentioned that you might be leaning towards an AGG pot…good choice as the wide base allows it to work effeciently with Esbit. Anyhow, I'd like to share a discovery I made last year while cleaning out my gear locker and came across my decades old BS of A mess kit: the pot is the same as AGG's except that it has a bail (handle) and is unanodized. I bet you could pick up a used mess kit at a Good Will for a buck or two and have a pan, bowl, & cup in addition to the pot!

The bail on the pot is really a plus. I did my level best to accomodate the AGG pot's lack of a handle and use my bandana to lift it off the burner and learned that it's a terrible hassle. That means you'll have to use a pot lifter which more often than not will weigh more than the bail. Happy trails!

David Wills

@willspower3

I used the $15, 2 oz Snowpeak Ti bowl w/ foi lid for the 1st 900 miles or so of my ongoing AT thru-hike and it worked great until I wanted something bigger (thru-hiker apetite). I moved to the $10 open country 2 qt aluminum stock pot which was 5.5 ounces after removing the bail and replacing the lid with foil. I'm now moving back to my old trusty 1L SS pot from the snowpeak solo kit ($15 or so) which weighs 5 oz w/ foil lid. There are very affordable options for all materials that all weigh very little. In the future, I will resume using the Ti bowl when I don't need to fix anything larger than a lipton side to keep satisfied. Good luck

Nat Lim

@lithiummetalman

Locale: Cesspool Central!

I know it isn't aluminum or titanium (It's steel!)

But…

-It's light – 3.6 oz
    -It has a wide bottom
    -Can hold about a liter (barely)
    -It's tough as beans

And

It's cheap : $6.95

bowl

Been using mine for the last 6 years with much success!

Ashley Brown

@ashleyb

I did my level best to accomodate the AGG pot's lack of a handle and use my bandana to lift it off the burner and learned that it's a terrible hassle.

The best thing to do is drill a small hole on either side of the pot near the top. Then attach a piece of wire loop between them like an upside down U. Weighs very little (much lighter than a pot lifter) and allows you to pick up the pot easily.

Barry P
    BPL Member

@barryp

Locale: Eastern Idaho (moved from Midwest)

“The best thing to do is drill a small hole on either side of the pot near the top. Then attach a piece of wire loop between them like an upside down U. Weighs very little (much lighter than a pot lifter) and allows you to pick up the pot easily.”

I’m just wondering how you keep the boiling water balanced when the pot is lifted? We’ve had so many scouts spill their water because they use the mess kit pot which also has a bailing wire handle.

-Barry

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

"I’m just wondering how you keep the boiling water balanced when the pot is lifted?"

Gravity?

Chad Miller

@chadnsc

Locale: Duluth, Minnesota

I think he means when you pour it out you dork.

Viewing 25 posts - 26 through 50 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools