Topic

Thread questions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Thread questions

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

I have been giving serious thought to attempting a single layer climashield quilt as my 1st sewing project and was wondering 2 things: 1)about how much thread on average should it take to get the job done, and 2)Thru Hiker is out of their Hydrophobe thread so how does the Gutermann thread that Quest sells stack up? Should I just wait for Thru Hiker to get more stock?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

I've been using the polyester thread that my local fabric store had in stock and it has held up wonderfully in all my stuff sacks and the tarp I've made.

David Erekson

@finallyme

Locale: Utah desert

For really good thread, get bonded nylon. It comes in many sizes. If you want to sew a bombproof pack to carry hundreds of pounds, use size 92 like Mchale. But, you need an industrial machine for thread that large. Size 69 is the largest with a home machine.

But, for a quilt, you do not need that much strength. The polyester thread at Joanns or Walmart is perfect, and the price is right, and shipping is pretty fast if you go there and pick it up yourself. If you want to see some really confused faces, go to a sewing store and ask for Bonded Nylon Thread. Everyone I went to looked at me like there was a hole in my head.

george carr
    BPL Member

@hammer-one

Locale: Loco Libre Gear

Thanks guys. I'll keep you posted on how it turns out.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools