Topic

Compression of .mov files

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Compression of .mov files

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

My camera (Pentax Optio W30) makes pretty nifty .mov videos but, even when I use the low resolution setting, the files are pretty large. Can anyone recommend free software for compressing the videos? The quality I'm looking for is about the same as the videos featured on this site.

Thanks

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

An easy way is to download the RAD video tool, http://www.radgametools.com/bnkdown.htm , free but you can donate some hard earned cash to them.
    This will allow to transcode between many video formats and also to compress your files.
    To compress just user Smack it.
    A 24.6 MOV file was compressed to 9.6mb with Smack it!
    However you can use the convert a file button to access that menu, import your file and click on the output button and choose AVI.
    I import my files into Movie Maker and save them as "send in E Mail"
    The 37 sec .MOV 24.6mb file became a 255mb .mpg (AVI) back to 24mb on Bink and 9.6mb on Smack. With Windows Media Player "E Mail" save mode it is down to just under 1 mg. With Movie Maker you can also use
    the Save for the Web option and choose the appropriate compression.
    Franco
    BTW .mov is a QuickTime (Mac) format and I am assuming that you are using Windows. QuickTime Pro will also transcode , I think it is $29

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Casey are you using a Mac or a P.C.? Franco's advice will be helpful in one instance but not the other.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Thanks Franco!
    Your response is exactly what I hoped for.

Sam,
    I use a PC with XP to update my website (via Frontpage) but also have a Mac thanks to my generous brother. That said, I do NOT enjoy "playing around" with computers.

In the near future my movies will be limited to our new and first son.

PJ

Don Wilson
    BPL Member

@don-1-2-2

Locale: Koyukuk River, Alaska

Ummm, Casey, it appears that your wife and son are about to be atacked by an Imperial Storm Trooper. Rough neighborhood.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

It's actually Luke in disguise, just before rescuing the princess.

Franco,
    When I 'Smack' my 10.5 MB .mov file, the default settings make a 14.9 MB .smk file. That's not really the kind of compression I'm looking for. What 'Smack It' settings do you use?

Thanks

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I only used Smack yesterday to see if it works…, I use Sony's Vegas Movie Studio.
    You will notice an Help button on the RAD front page. That takes you to the online "tutorial". Choose "compressing with Smack" and a page telling you how to do it will pop up. Maybe using the Compress to a % of the original is the easiest way . (IE Smack, the original file is 20MB and you want a 2MB file ,choose 10%)
    Another way is to use RAD to transcode from .MOV to AVI (Convert a file) then import the AVI into Movie Maker, drag the file to the timeline and use the Save to my Computer option, Movie Setting, Show more choices, best fit to file size..in MB, or Other Settings and pick the compression you want.
    Franco

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools