Topic

Are quilting loops required?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Are quilting loops required?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Blevin Davis
    BPL Member

@pinger

Locale: Florida

Please forgive the noobie question, I have looked through the posts and can't find a firm answer.

My question, for Climashield XP or Combat, one layer thick, is it necessary to use "ray-way" style quilting loops tp stabilize the insulation? I don't use a stuff sack for my current quilt and don't plan on using one for a new one. Thanks for the input.

Blevin

Dave Milsom
    BPL Member

@milsom

For my most recent quilt (one layer of climashield xp within a momentum/silnylon sandwich) i chose not to do the loops. i have used it a couple times, and so far so good!

Mike Nielsen

@geophagous

Locale: Pacific North West

I made a quilt using the 5oz Climateshield without loops. I stuff very loosly in a trash compactor bag and have not had problems. I am gentle with it.

mark henley

@flash582

The Quilting loops keep the quilt stablized when you pull the quilt out of your pack and it's stuff sack.

If you stuff it loose in a, trash bag or similar, and pull the sack out of the pack instead of the quilt, you can greatly minimize the need for loops with the newer XP insulations.

If you're rough on gear …. the use the quilting loops.

If you're the type of hiker that has his first potty trowl shined to a high gloss, then skip the loops. (only hand wash and hang dry if you don't have loops) The synthetic insulation will degrade and begin to lose some of it's ability to insulate in about a 100 to 150 bag nights typically, unless you're really, really, really careful with it.

Me …. I just make a new one every two years and forget it …. The technology cycle on new synthetic insulations is about every 2 years anyway, and since I don't wash em, they start to stink, so it works out well for me.

I take the old quilts and use em on the couch in the winter, or cut em up for prototypes of new quilt designs and then toss em out.

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

Sorry for the tangent.

Dave, did you put the momentum on the inside or outside of your quilt?

Would you still go without adding the loops?

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

My understanding is that quilting loops are generally required on insulation that is not continuous filament, but optional on continuous filament insulation (e.g. Climashield) if you are gentle with it.

My attitude is that the quilting yarns weigh so little, are so easy to install, and take little enough time to install that I put them on all my quilts. And partly because being gentle is not my forte.

I use a larger pattern with continuous filament, smaller otherwise. I think this topic is discussed in "Trail Life" by Ray Jardine.

Ben W.
    BPL Member

@benjita

Locale: Arlington, VA

Good point Elliot. I'm not always as gentle as I probably should be also. Thanks for the link.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools