Topic

lightest eVent Jacket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) lightest eVent Jacket

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    Derek Cox
    Spectator

@derekcox

Locale: Southeast

Anyone know who makes the lightest eVent jacket and how much it weighs/costs?

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Maybe the Integral Design eVent Rain Jacket (don't forget that name…)
    8.9 oz in medium , with a hood (can't see the point of a rain jacket without it)
    About $260
    Franco
    Pit zips ?
    You must be thinking of Gore Tex. No need for them when you have Excellent VENTilation

P S

@petesull

What about the lightest eVent jacket with ventilation (pit or side zips) and an electronics port/pocket?

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

I think Franco has found the lightest eVent Jacket for you, but is it a good design with usable features?

If you think e-Vent jackets are still too heavy try the OZ Pullover from Haglofs. Claimed 175g in a Large. That is light and in a large where most manufactures seem to state the medium size. But it is in Gore-Tex Paclite.

http://www.haglofs.se/prd/visaprod.asp?ID=1270&nid=416&lang=en&CatNr=262&CatNr2=&xCatNr=&NP=&Q=2&HMtrl=&Str=&show=&ak=&nid2=470

I would like to know if eVent jackets can match the low weights that Gore-Tex Paclite jackets are getting down too.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

Of course it's possible. It just depends on which sacrifices you're willing to make. Haglofs uses 76 gm/m² Paclite which is about 2,24 oz/yd. MLD uses 2 oz/yd 2-layer eVENT.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

I would like to see any eVent jackets that are pushing the ultralight weights that Paclite jackets are getting down to. You mentioned MLD but I am not sure who they are? My old jacket was an eVent Montane and I could not fault it. I have got a lighter paclite replacement and it’s superb.

I could not find something better and lighter in eVent and wonder if it is down to manufactures favouring Gore-Tex and so are not pushing the boundaries with eVent.

Art Sandt

@artsandt

"I would like to see any eVent jackets that are pushing the ultralight weights that Paclite jackets are getting down to"

As far as I've been able to find, there aren't any. Gore-tex has been around longer than eVENT… a lot longer in fact, which is why it's so popular. eVENT is pretty new, but the rain jacket companies are catching on. At the moment, however, 2-layer eVENT is just fabric + membrane. Paclite is Fabric + membrane + a thin protective inner layer, so at the moment it is more marketable than 2 layer eVENT. Without that inner protective layer, 2-layer eVENT's membrane is susceptible to abrading fairly easily. MLD uses it in bivies, which don't see a lot of abrasion, and rain mitts, which see some abrasion, but that's why they reinforce the palm with Gore-ex XCR.

FYI, MLD = http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Art I think if Derek had asked what is the lightest Gore-Tex jacket he would have had a long list of options. I think that eVent is great, and I see manufactures like Montane with their Quick Fire weighing 320g pushing the weight limits. If eVent Jackets get down to the 180g limit they will still have to sacrifice lots of useful features like pockets etc for weight. But its what do you need from a jacket that will ultimately sway your choice to buy it anyway. Light Jackets just give more choice in what are the least features you need from a jacket on your usual hikes. They still like heavy ones ultimately keep the rain out.

(thanks for the link to MLD, they make some good stuff)

Anonymous
    Inactive

The Id Event Rain Jacket is a bare bones design, no frills, jacket that performs superbly in the field. The only venting I've ever found necessary is to unzip the front when I'm really working hard. All of the published data I've read seems to indicate that Event breathes better than Paclite. It would seem to boil down to whether one requires better breathability or lighter weight, although the weight differential is what, 1.5-2 oz? A perfectly good option for trail hiking is a Rainshield O2 jacket, again bare bones, with Event plus breathability at ~5.5 oz. It is fragile, but for trail hiking it is perfectly adequate. I use Rainshield in the Sierra and save my Id Event jacket for nastier terrain up here in the PNW. So far I've been happy with both of them.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I had a chance to talk to the folks at eVent during Outdoor Retailer Winter Market about the possibility of lighter weight eVent fabrics. Their response was interesting.

Unlike other WP/B textiles where the PTFE layer really only serves as a uniform substrate for a waterproof Polyurathane (PU) coating, the PTFE membrane in eVent *is* the waterproof layer. Due to the porosity of the PTFE, this limits how thin the membrane can be and still remain waterproof. The PTFE membrane in textiles such as Paclite with a PU layer can be made much thinner, and therefore lighter, because it doesn't need to remain waterproof. In many fabrics, it is even eliminated altogether and the PU is laminated directly to the face fabric, albeit with reduced breathability and durability. The eVent folks also said that they do make thinner membranes for other purposes, but they aren't suitable for wp/b fabrics.

Cheers,

-Mike

RC
    BPL Member

@demo

Locale: PNW

The reason you don't see eVent jackets with any ventilation options aside from a front zipper is because you shouldn't need them. eVent really is that breathable — it approaches the breathability of Schoeller's stretch stuff, and that isn't a a waterproof/water resistant fabric.

See http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/00316.html

To add extra ventilation options would add more weight and ultimately defeat the purpose of using it in a very light garment.

I recently checked out the Cruiser Jacket from Westcomb and was very impressed. I think I will be picking one up.

Woubeir (from Europe)
    BPL Member

@woubeir

The fact that BHA is forced to use slightly thicker membranes does indeed makes some sense. The PU added in gore-tex does add some mechanical strength. I know that the thickness of the ePTFE layer seems to variate from 30 µm to 100 µm. Outside this range, the ePTFE layer appears not to have the physical properties anymore to achieve the desired result.

Interestingly enough, I've read a recent patent application from BHA describing the application of a PU pattern on a membrane, increasing the strength with 20% (from 80 PSI to 105 PSI in a Mullen burst test). The PU pattern covers the membrane only partially to keep the porous structure open. It did remind me of what Gore did with paclite. Unfortunately, the application seems to reduce both moisture vapor transpiration and air permeability quite strongly although it's hard to sayhow such a membrane would compare with the competition.
    But at least, it does seem possible to have some sort of 2,5 layer eVENT laminate (at least if the application is mend for use in textile laminates).

What the use of specific ventilation openings concerns, I just don't take it that eVENT doesn't need any extra ventilation openings. Nothing waterproof currently works that well that I never need some sort of extra ventilation. I seem to remember that the BPL article mentioned here (or one of the companion articles published around the same timeframe) stated that ventilation was more effective and that a non-breathable jacket with ventilation was more effective than the most breathable jacket without ventilation. I gladly take the extra weight of pit zips or comparable if it allows me to hike in more comfort.

P S

@petesull

I completely agree with Tom. I cannot believe when companies like eVent and Paramo say "it's so breathable you don't need pit zips!" I don't even sweat much and find any aerobic activity will overwhelm my pertex windshirt.

A light eVent, around 10oz, with pit zips, would completely replace windshirts and save everyone (that can afford it) 3 – 6oz.

Michael Martin
    BPL Member

@mikemartin

Locale: North Idaho

I think the different opinions given regarding the need for pitzips reflects different usage of the garments — People have different notions of terms like "aerobic activity".

Personally, I've found my ID eVent jacket (w/o pitzips) fine for hiking moderately in conditions below 45 degrees or so, but insufficiently breathable for temps much warmer than that. Also, hiking pace is a critical factor. I'm a trail runner and triathlete and find that at high exertion levels, no wp/b garment can keep me dry, with or without pit zips.

Richard Lyon
    BPL Member

@richardglyon

Locale: Bridger Mountains

I haven't weighed my Westcomb Mirage buts it's extremely light. I have a "special edition" that Westcomb made for Backcountry.com, on which the pit zips, powder skirt, sleeve pocket, and a couple of other frills were eliminated. On sale now for $227.50. Totally waterproof and windproof. Haven't needed pit zips yet but probably will this summer.

carlos fernandez rivas
    BPL Member

@pitagorin

Locale: Galicia -Spain

ok the event membrane has thickness limits

But it can be laminated to lighter fabrics. and used in more simple designs

I have one Oz pullover and one haglofs lim ultimate (first series) the fabric its really thin (thinner than the lim), but the best part is the minimal design,the secret of such lightweight.

I think that the key is the best combination of lighter fabric and design.

Im fact i think that one event oz clone could be easily under the 300 grams mark (i hope that this idea could inspire to some BMW designer someday :-)

Im sure that in a future we could enjoy lighter event fabrics in lighter designs.

carlos
    spain

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

I’m impressed with the BPL staff knowledge on the technical issues around eVent. I used an eVent jacket for two years in a lot of very wet weather and had to replace it last autumn. I now use a paclite jacket. To say that eVent does not need vents like pit zips does not make sense to me. One of the reasons I chose my new jacket was the need to have additional venting which I now have. That was a personal need based on my hiking activities and others may not need that.

eVent is good but I have not seen any difference in real life use in the hills. It may win in a laboratory test but I think Gore-Tex is just as good. Right now if you’re looking for a 400g to 500g jacket you’re spoilt for choice and eVent would be a sound choice, but so would Gore-Tex and with its Pro Shell pushing the limit on breathability I see eVent needing to catch up with its technology in allowing reductions in weight comparable with Gore-Tex products.

Anonymous
    Inactive

If you have the option of variably unzipping the front of the jacket why do you need pit zips with the extra weight of the zippers? I've been doing it ever since I got my ID jacket and it works just fine for core venting. Temperatures above 45 degrees, I don't even wear a WPB, only throw it on at rest stops since there isn't a WPB or windshirt made, IME, that will breathe adequately above ~45 degrees when you're putting the pedal to the metal.

EndoftheTrail
    BPL Member

@ben2world-2

Another viewpoint…

I own a MontBell Peak Shell jacket, which almost matches the extremely high breathability of eVENT. Like the eVENT, the MB laminate also dispenses with the PU coating, making it directly air permeable, while at the same time maintaining 100% rain proofness.

I have snowshoed wearing my MontBell at 40F, going up a slight but continuous uphill trail carrying a full backpack without a drop of sweat — all zippers fully closed. However, on other slightly warmer trips, I have used the jacket's front zip and the two extra long pit zips to great advantage. When hiking at "borderline temps" with alternating sun/no winds versus shade and high winds — the zips give you a much wider range where you can still leave your jacket on while awaiting the next "cold corner" — and not feel compelled to rip your jacket off due to overheating — only to have to put the darn thing back on again later — repeated ad infinitum…

P S

@petesull

If the rain is coming down hard, you really can't unzip the front. So, anytime you're moderately exerting yourself and it's raining, you need pit zips. For a lot of terrain and backpackers, this means anytime it's raining, you can't use the front zip.

The advantages of pit zips are seen even when there is no wind to circulate air. Your own body movement pushes and sucks air in and out, as long as there are sufficient inputs and outputs. The colder air outside your jacket will cool the inside, making you sweat less and–most importantly–lowering the amount of moisture the air inside can hold by 10 – 30% immediately. If there is significant wind, pit zips shine as the wind will replace the warm air on the inside and carry away the moisture at a rate hundreds the time of that of the fabric.

Aaron Sorensen
    BPL Member

@awsorensen

Locale: South of Forester Pass

You don't need pit zipps if the outter layer in the 20D nylon.
    It breaths sooo much better than the 30D.

I've ran in pouring rain all day long and did not get a drop wet, (inside or out).

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Aaron, what is the exact rain jacket you have?

Brett .

@brett1234

Locale: CA

Ive owned two event jackets, as well as numerous other shells. For me, pit zips, or vertical chest slash pockets which function similarly, are a must. Moisture management is frequently mentioned as a reason, but another is temperature management; Opening the rain-protected pit zips on a hot humid rainy day when you don't want to open the front zip provides immediate relief. Ill carry the extra ounce or two.

ID will add pit zips to their eVENT jackets at extra cost.(as explained to me in an email from their CS).

Mike W
    BPL Member

@skopeo

Locale: British Columbia

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Derek,

The Integral Designs eVent jacket/parka I like the best is the Thru Hiker. Normally I take a large but I'd get it in size extra large fot the length & ability to fit better over insulating clothes.

At present I'm using a Cabela's Rainy River GTX PacLite parka and, for $89., I love it.
    But had I the money the Thru Hiker would be my choice, if only because of the excellent breathability. You would have a windshirt and waterproof parka all in one.

Eric

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools