Topic

GG 1/8 “Thinlight “pillow”

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear GG 1/8 “Thinlight “pillow”

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Locale: Northeast/Southeast your call

Came up with this as a way to recycle a 1/8", well-used Thinlight pad.  I cut a strip about 8 to 10 inches wide and around 16 to 20 inches long (you make the pillow custom for you).  Fold it in half & mostly close the 2 long sides (I used strips of Gorilla Tape). I cut slits about mid-way through the open end and reinforced with Gorilla Tape.  I used one of the toggle type pad connectors that came with my Montbell UL90 pad inserted through the slits as a closure for the open end. Stuff with extra clothes. My custom pillow, about 8 x 10, weighs 1 ounce. It adds insulation, is non-skid, rolls up small, feels way better than nylon and recycles something I might have thrown away.

Roleigh Martin
    BPL Member

@marti124

Locale: Founder & Lead Moderator, https://www.facebook.com/groups/SierraNorthPCThikers

Sounds really cool, can you post a picture of it? I'm serious, I have a pad that I could do the same to. I have a Montbell pad and would like to do what you've done but enable it to connect to the pad like the Montbell pillow does (which weighs 2.5 ounces — your method saves 1.5 ounces)

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

Sorry for the delay. Aah spring is in the air.
    My Montbell pad has a compression type strap for rolling it up (which I never use for that purpose), but it also works for holding the pillow in place. I actually take the GG sit pad from my Mariposa and attach it to the compression strap and put my pillow on top, along with a cut down GG torso pad for lower legs and feet, this make a full length sleep system for under 14 ounces, although I am kinda short, which is sometimes a good thing!. I will try to get a picture this weekend. My home-job is pretty rough, but functional. I think using lighter tape would work okay. I just happened to have a small roll of Gorilla tape on hand. The cool part of home made gear is total personal customization, so you should be able to make your pad to work with the Montbell.

Patricia Combee

@trailfrog

These are a few of the picture of my pillow. I wrap and clip the compression strap of the Montbell UL90 pad around the pillow to hold it in place. I have used the little Montbell pad connector toggle as a closure for the pillow (I reinforced the holes I cut with Gorilla Tape) and taped up the sides, My pillow measures 10" x 12", but can be customize for anyones needs. I used a down jacket for the "stuffing", but I usually use my extra clothes, since I usually have my jacket on at night.This one give scale to the pillowThis pic shows the pillow and the compression strapThis picture shows the toggle closureThis picture shows how I taped up the sides, also taped one end the same way

I hope these images are decent. This is a pretty easy project, and used a pretty distorted Thinlight pad. I can't say how long the pillow will last, but so far, so good.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools