Topic

Any of you MYOG-ers take special requests! :) (pack sling content)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Any of you MYOG-ers take special requests! :) (pack sling content)

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Locale: Minnesota Transplant

Hey there, I don't know if this is out of line or not, but I thought it would be worth asking. So, does anyone take special requests? Typically when I'm backpacking, it also means I'm fly fishing. For a long day on the river I used the lid/detachable fanny pack of the Granite Gear Meridien, but have since lightened my pack and load (went with Golite Jam2).

However! I loved carrying the fanny pack as a sling over my shoulder and back. And I have been searching for a long time with no luck for a light weight shoulder sling pack that I can fish with all day. The closest thing I have found so far is the Orvis Sling, but i'm pretty sure it weighs about 2 lbs! I'd just love the same thing in UL material, and a bit more stripped down.

So! What say you BPL MYOG-ers!? Anyone have it in them to give it a whirl? If not, where would I go to find something like this.sling

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

I have a shoulder sling daypack I make that is basically just a stuff sack with a water bottle pocket and shoulder strap. The lightest one is 2 oz with silnylon and a 1 1/2" grosgrain webbing strap, and I have a spectra gridstop one with an adjustable webbing shoulder strap that weights maybe 4-5 oz. They are plenty big enough for ultralight day gear. I often pack my day stuff in it, then when backpacking it goes on the very top in my Golite Gust, for nice organization, plus a really light daypack.
    And I do take requests.

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Thanks so much…is there an email address I can reach you on to discuss further instead of boring the good folks of BPL?

I can PM too, but sometimes that gets all funky. Let me know!

[email protected]

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

A few years back I bought a LaFuma synthetic summer bag that came with a really unique stuff sack. The cord pulls at the top of the sack are extra long and the ends are permently attached to the bottom to form a day pack. The cord pulls act as straps. Or sometime I put the cords together and wear it as a sling. It's just coated rip stop and I've been meaning to make a copy out of silnylon but just haven't yet. I wear a lanyard around my neck with tippet material and nippers and the fly box in my front shirt pocket. I'll usually use the stuff sack pack for my water bottle and snacks and maybe an extra clothing layer and camera. With this set up I can be gone all day and I don't have to bring an extra fishing pack. When I hike, it goes back to being used as a stuff sack for my sleeping bag.

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

That sounds really cool Randall…do you have any photos of it?

I too wear a lanyard, and a Morel fly box in the shirt pocket, and also used my fannypack/sling last year to carry my platy, lunch, snack, rainjacket, and a small survival kit. That's pretty much it, and I could be on the river all day. Here's my previous setup I'm trying to improve on.

GG sling fanny

Randall Dee
    BPL Member

@speyguy

Locale: Cascadia

Casey,
    Here ya go….
    Stuff sack /day packstuff sack pack

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

Still looking!
    Anyone wanna do a project!?

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

what exactly do you want? Dimensions? Fabrics? Pockets? I am up to make most anything. e-mail me @ [email protected] if you want

-Tim

P.S.
    I could make it a detach lid for the Jam2 if i had picks of the pack see how to attach it if that is your preff style.

Steve McQueen

@cpholley

thanks Tim, I sent you an email!

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

i will get it Sunday. I am currently out of town.

-Tim

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

Convert a stuff-sack to a day-pack.

This is the luxury version with a shoulder strap made out of webbing – a strong 15L pack for 70g or less. It was built so that I could do supply runs after pitching camp.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools