Topic

eVENT fabric for sale

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear eVENT fabric for sale

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Joshua S
    BPL Member

@joshualee101

I just noticed that The Rain Shed has 2-Layer eVENT® in slate blue. It's located under Just Arrived. It's $13.00/yd. I assume it's the real thing since it has the registered trademark symbol after the name.

http://www.therainshed.com/Just%20Arrived.htm#eVENT%AE_2-Layer_WP_Breathable_

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

Locale: Exploring San Juan talus

wow! thanks for the heads up! I'll need to ask what weight it is.
    This is rare and exciting folks.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Please post when you find out the weight. I could see myself snatching up quite a bit of this for all sorts of projects

Homemade eVENT tent anyone? =)

Jason Brinkman
    BPL Member

@jbrinkmanboi

Locale: Idaho

Anybody inquired yet? I've never seen blue before.

I could use a little general eVENT education. What are the most common varieties in use? 2-layer? 2.5-layer? 3-layer? Since the eVENT PFTE is supposedly oleophobic, is there any risk of dirt and oils clogging the 2-layer? Are there trade names for the different layers and weights?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but I want to make sure that my excitement is warranted.

Also, talked to the owners of OWF a while back. They said they could get eVENT, but only in very large lots that they were not confident they could resell quickly.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I noticed that this was two layer, and not three layer… how would it work for the top layer of a bivy? Would it be durable enough?

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

MLD uses 2-layer in their event bivy, it works fine and is the lightest variety of event, but you have to be careful not to abrade it with rough clothing inside the bivy, quilt is fine. Every layer you add after the 2-layer adds weight.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

I sent them an email asking about the weight and if it is a "limited quantities" kind of thing, or something they have lots of now.
    Answers will be posted once I get them!

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

This is a photo I took of the 3rd layer of eVENT at 60 x. It looks very similar to the 3rd layer of Gore-Tex. A bivy top or externally suspended tent should be fine with 2 layers because there should be insignificant membrane friction. I strongly suspect that an internally framed tent, a bivy bottom, or most unlined outerwear clothing applications will result in enough cumulative friction, over a long period of time, to abrade the unprotected membrane (layer 2) and cause leaks.

eVENT 3rd layer

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

here is their reply:

"Sorry I don't have the weight on this fabric. It was a special purchase of a limited amount."

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I just ordered a few yards. I am thinking of making this bivy..

http://www.therainshed.com/RS180bivy.htm

does anyone have any experience with this pattern? It has similar dimensions and features to my bibler big wall bivy.
    Once I get the fabric, I will try to get the weight for you guys. It should be here in a few days.

Jeremy Cleaveland
    BPL Member

@jeremy11

I just called and they didn't have the weight, but said it felt more like a mid-weight fabric.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Just placed my order for 12 yards, and they said they have about 70-80 yards left from a leftover run from a manufacturer. So this is a one time deal; once it's out of stock, it's gone. This is a chance to make gear that you would pay top dollar for, and it is going to considerably change my gear setup.

Now that I think about it, 2-layer eVENT would not be appropriate for a tent. I have MLD's 2-layer eVENT gloves, and once you've scuffed off the membrane, you've only got a windshirt.

I think the best applications would be:

1) Bivy shell for use under a small tarp. In this case, a few small scratches of the membrane here and there won't end your trip (unlike leaks from a tent); you'll still have a windshirt-like wicking nylon top layer.

2) Sleeping bag material, especially for a synthetic bag/quilt with no bivy. This would be great because it would be much lighter than 3-layer, and the membrane would never be exposed, so you wouldn't have to worry.

3) Rain Chaps or Kilt. This is what I'm looking forward to most. MLD offers this for around 3oz, but it's $140 and should be easy to sew. Much lighter than my 12oz eVENT pants, much more compact than Propore pants, and much more breathable than silnylon chaps.

4) WP/B gloves. These wouldn't last very long, but you could make a couple pairs with scraps of fabric. I might make a pair of elbow-length gloves for the Gatewood Cape. One could make shoulder length gloves for ponchos.

Right now I'm planning on sewing a layer of eVENT to the top of the silnylon portion of a SMD Serenity Shelter, to create a bivy INSIDE the mesh netting. This should only add 4-5oz or so at most. This way I still have the full protection from bugs for afternoon naps AND a warm bivy for cool, windy nights. This might even get me to take the Gatewood Cape above treeline, since I would be protected from spindrift, and if the tarp blew away I'd still be in a fully WP/B bivy. The eVENT chaps would complement this system perfectly, and both the chaps and bivy should be really easy sewing projects.

Fun, fun, fun!!

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

FYI:

We use the lightest 2 layer eVENT version – it's the lightest WPB material made -right at 2 oz/sq/yd.

I considered buying all of this type eVENT they had but passed since it is a heavier supplex/taslan style outer fabric. Note, they don't have much left. My best guess is it's something like a 3.2 – 3.8oz.

-It should be fine though for some smaller DYI projects.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Hmm, I wonder what they mean by 'mid-weight' fabric. Certainly it will be heavier than Pertex quantum but lighter than 3-layer eVENT. Or are they comparing mid-weight to heavy corduroy canvas-like fabrics? At this point I'm going to guess that if it's 2-layer, it's the light 2-layer. Who would want to make 2-layer heavier fabric rather than 3-layer for the same weight? I'll be sure to weight it when it arrives, though.

John Carter

@jcarter1

Ron,

Thanks for the update. That's good to know. I wonder if the heavier fabric might even be better for chaps and gloves for durability. It might make me rethink using it in a bivy or sleeping bag, though. Of course, if I had access to 3-layer eVENT at this weight, that would be preferable. But this is all we can get, so I'll take it!

Sven Klingemann
    Spectator

@svenklingemann

I deviate – any word on the Spinnaker fabric supply?
    :-(
    Sven

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

so… what I am gathering is that this may not be the best material for a shell bivy, due to the fact that the inner membrane is exposed…..

Couldn't I just sew a light layer of momentum or something along the bottom layer to protect it, thus making it a three layer of sorts?

My goal was to use this as a bivy, but now I am worried that it won't work too well. I guess in a bivy, I will be in a sleeping bag, so the chances to scuffing the membrane are lowered. Just how fragile is this stuff anyways?

John Carter

@jcarter1

My experience is that you can rub the membrane no problem (except the oils in your hands), but if you knick it with your fingernail, you will scuff off the membrane. It feels, looks, and scuffs like a large coating of white-out on a windshirt. My experience with the fabric is limited, though, so I'd be curious to hear others chime in.

I had originally backed away from the idea of a 2-layer eVENT bivy, but that was when I was attempting a stand-alone setup (no tarp). I think under a tarp, though, a few nicks here and there would add a negligible amount of moisture seepage. I don't think a sleeping bag would cause any scuffing. You will want to change into clean socks; I would think if you lay on top of the bivy and there is sand or small rocks in the bivy, you might cause some abrasion.

Treat it like any other UL fabric and I think you should be fine.

Since this is already a heavier fabric, adding momentum would increase the weight to as much as 4oz/yd. Plus, you'd have 2 layers of nylon, which would reduce the breathability. Interesting idea, though.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

thanks for all the helpful info… I figured it out… even without adding another layer of momentum to the bivy, I can make this for around $55 and it will weigh somewhere in the 16oz-20oz range. I think I am still going to go through with this.

Brian Barnes
    BPL Member

@brianjbarnes

Locale: Midwest

I wonder if you sandwich a layer of ClimaShield XP (5oz/sq yd) between this ~3.5 oz/sq yd eVENT and a layer of Momentum 0.9 oz Ultralite Taffeta, one could have a really nice water/wind-proof quilt or overbag for winter. It would be on the heavy side but could you leave the bivy at home? not sure…

John Carter

@jcarter1

…and it's bad news, folks. It's 4.15oz/sq yd. And a very stiff fabric; it would not drape at all.

Why would anyone design 2-layer eVENT that is heavier than 3-layer eVENT? I thought I could at least count on it being lghter than the 3-layer stuff. Oh well…

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I just ordered 4 yards of it… oh well.

Will it really not work at all for a bivy, since it doesn't drape very well?

John Carter

@jcarter1

It should work fine for a bivy; I just think it's a bit stiff to use for pants. Then again, my 3-layer eVENT is pretty stiff, too. Just don't expect it to feel like Pertex Quantum, that's all.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

I was wondering if this was a defect…Event pores

There are a few of these dark smudges on the back of my eVent. I can see the pores… does this mean that the water will get through this?

Since I am making a bivy, I need it to be waterproof… Should I contact therainshed and see about getting some that isn't defective?

There are about 8-10 patches of this throughout my 4 yards of the stuff… any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

couldn't I just coat this with clear nail polish? I know that would affect the breathability, but would it stop it from leaking?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools