Topic

I/O merino woolies cheap!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals I/O merino woolies cheap!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

Found this surfing the web. Ordered a size medium bottoms and it got here in 3 days w/ free shipping. Only cost $22.50. Really nice stuff (sooooft),made in Aussieland. My medium weighs 137 gms (4.83 oz.) Not bad. Don't have all sizes in all styles but, hey, they're giving the stuff away. Seems very well made. Company put together by some surf dudes.

John Myers
    BPL Member

@dallas

Locale: North Texas

You have a website or something?

JW
    BPL Member

@litetrail

You can get limited styles and sizes from: http://www.skiuniverse.com/

Go to the apparel section.

I've got a few of the i/o pieces and recon it is THE best wool for its weight. Compared to wool2 patogonia it is 100 times tougher, equal in weight, slightly less soft. For the price it is fully worth it.

mark cole
    BPL Member

@marklivia

Whoops, spaced that out , didn't I? But, in fact, Jhaura (thanks) got you the right link.

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Locale: S. Central NC, USA

Wow… what a deal!
    I ordered some to try out too.

Thanks for the heads up Mark!

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Locale: Kansas

Nice…

Jhuara, or any one else who actually has these, does the fit tend to be on the slim or loose side? Specifically compared to Icebreaker…

Of course, at these prices I can grab a M and an L and unload (at a discount) whichever one I don't like the fit as much. I just wish they had the M Tank in stock as I suspect the Tank I'd definitely go with M…

Mike Klinefelter
    Spectator

@mjkline

Locale: Southern California

Anybody know how long the tops and bottoms run. I'm pretty tall and that's always an issue for me.

Kenneth Puentes

@pue397

Locale: Southern California

Mike:

Just got size large: I'm 6'2" w 32" inseam and these go down to ~ 2" above my ankle bone. Very soft and construction seems fine.

Thanks to Mark for scoping the great deal.

-Ken

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Got mine in. These are really nice.
    Nice flat seams.
    Size large tank weighs in at 3.7 oz.
    Runs tight IMO as compared to Patagonia.
    But hey, they are a baselayer.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Tight as compared to Patagonia, eh? Then a L tank might be right up my alley as a base.

Christopher, you mind letting me know you're size and how it fits? I'm 5'9"-10" 180 lbs, with about a 42 inch chest and 32-33 waist. For a tank I'd be looking for a pretty slim / tight fit.

Of course, I could always be patient and wait for the M and L crews I ordered to come in (along with the M bottoms)…

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

That's funny Josh…
    We're almost exactly the same size.
    That stuff should fit you just the way you want.
    The Med bottoms too.

I liked them so much I just placed a second order.

jed chapman
    BPL Member

@jchaps

Locale: pacific northwest

I just received a top and bottom today. Thanks for the heads up!

Good stuff and worth the price. However, this merino wool is itchier than Icebreaker (the only other merino wool I have to compare it to). To me, the Icebreaker 150 shirt I have feels like the most comfortable thing I've worn besides silk. The I/O top feels like it has more of that regular wool itch to it. I'd definitely buy the bottoms again because my legs aren't as sensitive, but I'd save my money for the expensive, yet super comfortable Icebreaker tops.

As far as sizing goes, I'm 5'10", 32 inch waist, 155 lbs and pretty skinny overall. The small bottoms fit me perfectly (form fitting, no saggy butt, extend to an inch or so just above my ankles), and the medium size top is probably also the right fit, although a small might have been ok because the sleeves have a little bit of extra length in them and the material stretches easily in every direction (enough to add thumb holes or loops).

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

"That's funny Josh… We're almost exactly the same size. That stuff should fit you just the way you want. The Med bottoms too." – Christopher

Sweet! Of course that means might be unloading my M crew at a discount. Then again, that on paypal would probably pay for my L tank…

Oh, and that is funny, especially because, from your avatar I would have guessed you were a bit bigger. It's probably because you're in better shape.

"However, this merino wool is itchier than Icebreaker (the only other merino wool I have to compare it to). To me, the Icebreaker 150 shirt I have feels like the most comfortable thing I've worn besides silk. The I/O top feels like it has more of that regular wool itch to it." – Jed

Jed, I had similar experience with my Nau.com Wool2 stuff and my Icebreaker Tech T. After a couple washings, either because of the washings or because of my skin getting used to it, my Nau just feels slightly 'fuzzy / soft' as compared to IB's 'smooth / slick'.

PS – I just got an email from our receptionist that my package showed up… post more impressions in a moment.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Okay, I just got some time away to try these on.

1) Sizing: Christopher was spot on on the sizing, L fits me about perfect as a baselayer. Trim but not too immodest. M is just tight enough to feel tight.

2) Finish: Very nice seams, the hem is flat finished, so low bulk which is also nice. I noticed the fabric is, initially, a tad bit itchy as Jed mentioned (note the M was noticebly moreso probably because it was so tight). However, this itch is VERY similar to the feel of the Nau fabric I mentioned and I'm certain its due to loose / rough fibers which will decline with a couple of times of wearing it / washing it once or twice is water alone.

PS – I will be selling my M Black Crew (which is, BTW, sold out at the site), as it's too tight. Look in the Gear Swap area if interested.

Joshua Mitchell

@jdmitch

Okay, just a note about Ski Universe… they are hella-fast in getting their stuff out the door. I've opted for the 'free (5-7 business days) shipping' in the cast of both shipments (one shipment was the two crews and bottoms, the other was a single tank). Both times I got shipping confirmations withing an hour-ish of placing the order and it wasn't a 'submitted for pickup later' but Ski U got it out the door that day and it showed up a couple of days later (for instance I ordered the tank on Friday and it showed up this morning)

Chris Chastain
    Spectator

@thangfish

Agreed.
    Fastest free shipping ever.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools