Topic

Terra Nova Tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Terra Nova Tents

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Locale: Pacific NW

I am looking at the lightweight Terra Nova tents (Laser, Laser Competition, Photon) and wonder if anyone has any experience or advice about these tents for lightweight backpacking. Also, does anyone know of any North American sources for these tents. I know I can purchase them directly from Terra Nova, but the value of the US Dollar has dropped so much. Thanks for the help.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Locale: UK

I own a Laser and love the low weight and huge space. I re configured the guys as they are short. But once done it as stable as any single person tent I have used. There is a review from another user and me on the forums. I had a Hilleberg Akto and sold it after three years for this tent.

Strong points:

•Outer pitch first, which is good in the rain

•Stable, Steve Perry used one on his first continuous winter round of the Munros which says it all (Google him for info)

•Good ventilation as the Laser has cords to raise the end from inside to allow airflow.

•Best door opening I have used
    Laser door info

For feed back on the Laser Competition see this site.
    http://www.petesy.co.uk/?s=laser
    For the Photon try
    http://trailgear.blogspot.com/2007/07/news-world-exclusive-review-of-worlds.html
    I live in the UK and would not know where to buy Terra Nova tents in the USA

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Martin
    Can you give us your comparison between the Laser and the Akto ?
    Obviously the Laser is lighter but do you miss anything you had with the Akto ?
    Any problem with condensation ? (compared with the Akto…)
    Franco
    Nice picture

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Thanks for those questions to Martin, Franco. Since I am considering selling my Akto and investing in a Terra Nova, I planned to ask those questions myself. I am especially interested in the condensation issues.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Ok to start a comparison we need to look at the following: Weight, space/height/comfort/door, stability, ease of pitch and Condensation control. Weights in metric (I am English after all)

The Akto is chubby; it weighs in fact 1.6 fully loaded in the bag (and feels more). A Laser is listed 1.4 and mine with lighter guys is 1.3 including all pegs etc. Once I replace the vent pull cords with lighter cord it will be even lighter. Pick up each one in a shop, and notice a big difference in weight.

Space is good in each but again the head room in the Akto is lower. I am 6’2 and could not fully sit up. I can in the Laser along with enjoying more internal space and another thing is porch space. Akto users (I was one) will point out deep porch. Well a Laser has a good one plus the greater separation between inner and outer means you can reach out and place items at the ends with ease. This is so good I can hang clothing that is damp over the ends of the inner tent near the carbon fibre rods to dry. You can not do this in an Akto. The greater Internal space makes tent bound nights, and time in storms a comfy time if you are tall compared to an Akto. The higher ends with a 50cm carbon fibre pole means more space and less closed in on your face when sleeping. On doors the Akto opens one way where the Laser is amazing with huge opening and two zips. Also I can take the Wife with me in the Laser unlike an Akto. (It’s tight for two)

Stability is good on each. The Akto is great and once guyed out the Laser is I have found keeping pace. I have loaded a Photo to show my Guying arrangement at the ends. Done like an Akto which is in my opinion the best arrangement I have seen.

Guying arrangement

Pitching is easy with each, but the Akto is more awkward in getting set up with even tension. Also pitching fly sheet first then attaching the inner needs a mention. The Akto requires you to crawl in towards the end and struggle to attach four attachments to two poles in each end. This is annoying and you will find if tent is pitched slightly out of alignment a pain to attach the inner. The Laser is simple despite some people’s comments. Attaching the Inner fully to the far ends unlike the Akto requires just one easy adjustable clip. As to pitch you will have already attached part of it.
    To see the Laser Competition being pitched see link (same for Laser)
    http://www.videojug.com/film/how-to-pitch-a-terra-nova-laser-competition-tent

Condensation is an issue with the Akto and I had to keep inner door open to help along with vents. I have found the greater separation of inner and outer on the Laser along with its pulley system (see their web site for info) at the ends great for condensation control but it still happens like any tent. Another point is the fly sheet is coated and so with a quick shake any moisture shakes off before packing away. See this link for an Akto review and comments and modification for better condensation control.
    http://v-g.me.uk/GearTech/GearTech-Equipment-AktoRV.htm This is a great web site and shows the sort of backpacking we do in England.

I will probably be denounced as a heretic by the Akto fans here in the UK. Lets not bash the Akto it is a great tent but is showing its age in weight and space to weight ratio. Two of my friends have now got Lasers as they wanted to lighten up with more space. I hope that helps you to make a decision and safe hiking.

Diplomatic Mike

@mikefaedundee

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland

I've had my Laserlite (now the Laser Comp) for about 4 years. It's a great wee tent. I think the codensation issue hasn't been any worse than other tents. Small tents will always have more condensation than larger tents. My tent has stood up to some hard treatment and is as good as new. On one memorable night, i was pitched high on a Scottish hillside. The ground was waterlogged and i couldn't find a dry spot anyplace. During the night the rain hammered down. I looked out in the morning, and the whole hillside was a flowing sheet of water, with me pitched in the middle of it! Despite this i stayed dry as a bone.It can be noisy in high winds though.
    The Laserlite also fits perfectly into my Conduit back pocket. When my Laserlite eventually dies on me, i'll probably go for the Laser Comp.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Locale: North of England

I also posted a review of the laser on this site recently. I have friends with an Acto but I have never owned one. I would like to point out that the Laser porch is only just big enough to get into and take off wet raingear before getting into the inner mostly dry. I hook the open door onto the guy temporarily to get a bit more room. When I am in the inner I zip up the outer. The Acto porch allows the, getting off wet gear in the porch manouver, easily. We use the laser for 2 people, 5'6", 5'9", you have to be friends.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Derek not a bad point on porch size but I would point out that I am 6’2 and have never found any solo tent porch ideal for taking wet gear of.

The Akto porch is deeper by 25cm than the Laser with dimensions of 220 X 75 compared to the Laser of 230 X 50. But this does not tell the whole story as the Akto slopes down at a steeper angle and the porch internal usable space is compromised by this compared to the Laser with its higher end pole giving a longer porch. I find it easier to reach the ends and thus, usable space.

The separation of inner and outer of the Laser is greater and thus I find I can put items by the ends easy unlike my old Akto. Let’s not get carried away as each design has a good usable porch for solo use. Thanks for your feedback on reducing weight off the tent and your point on the hood cover is good. Hope my feed back made sense.

David Ure

@familyguy

nm

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thank you all for your comments, particularly Martin for the lengthy and very informative comparison. I had been looking at the Laselite/Comp but neglected the Laser.
    That link with the Akto mods was posted here recently , also very enlightening.
    Franco

Martin
    Those guys outside your door dressed in full combat uniform are members of the Akto Special Forces

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

In summing up I had a lot of good times with my old Akto and many great wild camps. That is what it’s all about in the end, getting out in to the wilds and enjoying it. Any one looking for a solo tent would not go wrong with an Akto, but I would say the Laser has more to offer. Safe hiking.

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. Martin, thanks especially for all your comments and photos. Doing that takes a bit of time and I do appreciate it. I think I've decided to "bite the bullet" and order the Laser. I just wish our US currency was worth something but I don't see it changing anytime soon but summer is approaching (although things are still turning white here with passing storms). The Laser should give my dog the room she needs whereas the Akto doesn't quite do it. And, I can save weight!

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

Martin,
    I did not understand what you are going to do to the vent system other than use lighter cord. I have taken to removing the carbon fibre poles for packing and will try leaving the bungees off. It also struck me that when there is a lot of condensation on the fly and it is time to take down the laser, it should be possible to remove the corner pegs unclip the clips on the tension tapes and fold the groundsheet around the inner hooking corner guy to its longitudinal pair just under the pole hoop. Then you can shake the fly to loose the condensation pack the tent and when you pitch again the inner sholud be pretty dry

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Derek your right in all I am doing with the vent system is using use lighter cord, but I don’t put it through the hole in to the inner tent. This means a shorter and lot lighter cord arrangement as I can easily reach the cord to lower or raise the ends any way, and it’s less fiddly to separate the inner and outer.

The bungee cords from my understanding just hold the short end poles in place if leaving inner and outer attached. When the tent is pitched they are held in place any way and this means it is quick to strip the tent out for packing with out them. Your packing tip seems good ill give it a go. As I understand it you are still leaving the inner partly attached at all times for a faster pitch? One idea I am thinking of is as I can’t be bothered with the vent system pulleys being used from the inner tent (just the porch) I could have Inner tent ends altered with more mesh than the small panel it’s got. This would give even better ventilation and I would lose more weight, bit like the Akto modification I referred to.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

yes the packing tip only works if you dont put the vent cords through into the inner but does leave the inner attached to the hoop.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

The Terra Nova range has arrived here in Australia. Had a play today with the Laser. A little tight for two but very spacious for one.
    $599 AU. They will be available on line at http://www.hikelight.com.au/, use the contact link for the moment. The price includes shipping within Australia.
    Franco

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

According to Terra Nova, they are in the process of establishing retailers for their products in the US. Prolite says they have been working with Terra Nova. My Laser should arrive on Monday!

FRANK HERDMAN

@ftherdman-1

Martin, I'm looking at a possible purchase of the Laser Competition. I have an Akto as well. I'm curious about how you rigged the guying arrangement on the ends of the tent. Are there additional loops on the tent, or did you add those?

Thanks for all the helpful info.

Derek Goffin

@derekoak

the laser has loops provided. I think the comp does not but i dont know

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

Derek is right in that the Laser has extra guy points. On a Competition you could have them put on say if you lived in the UK by Scottish Mountain Gear for example, they do modifications.

There web add is http://www.scottishmountaingear.com/ I rigged my Laser as the photo shows but am trying three guys at the end to see how I get on, the Laser Competition is given a good review over at the following two web sites and you’ll find that stability isn’t bad on it.

http://v-g.me.uk/GearTech/GearTech-Equipment-LaserCompRV.htm

http://www.petesy.co.uk/?s=laser

I have asked questions to each of these sites and they are very helpful and superb in their knowledge and I’m sure would answer any questions you have, so look them up.

Safe hiking

Scott Van Doeselaar
    BPL Member

@vandoe

Locale: Southern CA

James,

Did you get your Laser through Prolite or another way? I have a friend looking for one of these.

D G
    Spectator

@dang

Locale: Pacific Northwet

Moontrail.com carries some of the Terra Nova Tents.

No affiliation to Moontrail, but I've ordered stuff from them.

FRANK HERDMAN
    Spectator

@fherdman

Thanks again. Unfortanately, I'm in Santa Fe New Mexico, so the UK shop is not an option. I'll see what the tent provides as far as loops and how it does in bad weather.

James Loy
    BPL Member

@jimbluz

I purchased my Laser directly from Terra Nova. They were very helpful in the process and the tent arrived in 5 days. Unfortunately, the US dollar's value against the British Pound is not good at all, making the tent quite expensive. The Laser is every bit as nice as the prior comments state, and is a bit lighter than the Akto as the materials, including the pole are of lighter weight. What I like about the Akto is that is made in Estonia whereas the Laser, unfortunately, is made in Vietnam. Also, the pitching instructions are superior to the Laser, but Terra Nova was able to email me the pitching tips that were not mentioned in their written instructions.

Martin Rye
    BPL Member

@rye1966

On the view of the materials on the laser being lighter I agree except the flysheet. One area that the Akto fans point out is its durability as it has a claimed high tear strength. I looked up the information on the flysheet and wonder what the best one is. Both use according to the information I found 50g/m2 material. I do not understand why the same weight material would have any greater strength over each other in reality.

Terra Nova use there Watershed SL on the Laser which has a Silicon Elastomer coating inside, and out and it absorbs no water and rain. It is 50g/ m2 and has a claimed typical hydrostatic-head of 4000mm. Information at

http://www.terra-nova.co.uk/Product_Information/Fabric_Terra_Nova.html

The Hilleberg Akto has Kerlon 1200 flysheet weighting 50g/m2 Information at

http://www.hilleberg.com/FabricsandMaterials.htm

I could not find the claimed hydrostatic-head head? I would like to know if it is as well designed as the Terra Nova with its double Silicon Elastomer coating. Terra Nova make bold claims that there fabric is the most advanced out there, and so do Hilleberg. Who is the best I wonder. I have used each make and have to say I think Terra Nova is better.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 46 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools