Topic

13 oz Scout 1 Platinum tent now available on BA website

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) 13 oz Scout 1 Platinum tent now available on BA website

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I haven’t been able to find any reviews on the tent, and that’s not surprising since it JUST came out.The Platinum is made with a 7d silnylon fly and a 15d floor. I’ve seen no indication whether or not BA is going to produce a Carbon (DCF) version of the Scout 1 Platinum, like they’ve done with the Scout 2. I figure a Scout 1 Carbon would come in at around 9 oz! $349 MSRP.

https://www.bigagnes.com/Scout-1-Platinum

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I could see this working. I hate bugs, so I need netting. Wait, it looks like this has netting at the front opening. Still, I’d prefer a dcf Zpacks solo hexamid. this is pretty tiny. Doable, but tiny.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

A pole supported bivy ; )

R
    Spectator

@autox

<p style=”text-align: left;”>They don’t seem to say anything about the rear pole?</p>
    How many commercial tents are using 7d for the fly at this point? The consensus around here for a while was that it’s fine for a tarp, but too fragile to invest the effort of a diy tent.

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

too fragile to invest the effort of a diy tent.

Yes, 7d and 1200mm pressure rating. Have fun with that in the real world.

-H

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

The material seemed to work fine for this reviewer’s Platinum tent on a CDT thru hike:

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/gear/review/big-agnes-copper-spur-2-platinum-tent-review/

I thought the Scout 1 looked like a decent sized tent, and then I saw the picture of it with a human – that tent is tiny!

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Henry beat me to it.  Good, because many more will listen to him.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

With its small size he Scout 1 Platinum should be called  a “bivy tent.” Yes, it might very well wet out in heavy rains, but a 9 ounce Carbon (DCF) version of the the Scout 1 would be the ultimate FKT shelter, and it would also be more waterproof.

I’m looking at the Scout 1 more to copy it for a DIY project in 15d silnylon. In defense of the Scout 1, it does look like pretty well ventilated, and it it has more space than a  bivy.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

sectionhiker’s review of the Scout Platinum 1. I didn’t realize the entry had no mesh. No too well ventilated after all.

https://sectionhiker.com/big-agnes-scout-platinum-1-tent-review/

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Yes, 7d and 1200mm pressure rating. Have fun with that in the real world.

Not only that – it seems they’re using the 7d for the floor too. That could be fun…

Maybe useful for ultra adventure racers?

Can’t see the point for general backpacking.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

For those who choose not to listen to Henry…Section Hiker spells it out pretty clearly.

Andrew Marshall
    BPL Member

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

BPL has someone reviewing this tent in the field as we speak. Will be interesting to see what he thinks of it.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

This looks like it would work great to keep my hiking poles dry, while I’m sleeping in my actual tent.

Chris H
    Spectator

@chrish

Locale: Somewhere on the Virginia A.T.

Could see how the 16” boxy foot area might be better at keeping a wet wall off my bag/quilt.  Probably better than my solplex.  But gotta think, as others have already posted, that ventilation and durability is going to be horrible.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

That flat, vertical door doesn’t look like it would do well in wind.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I called Big Agnes about a month ago to see if they were going to produce a Carbon (DCF) version of the Scout Platinum 1, like they did with the Scout 2. The rep said she wasn’t aware of any plans BA had to do that. Regardless of the deficiencies of the tent, a 9 oz Carbon Scout 1 would undoubtedly be the ultimate FKT or adventure racing shelter. I wouldn’t trust the current 7d silnylon version for waterproofness though, but .51 DCF would be waterproof for at least a little while (with polycro underneath)

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

The material seemed to work fine for this reviewer’s Platinum tent on a CDT thru hike:

https://www.halfwayanywhere.com/gear/review/big-agnes-copper-spur-2-platinum-tent-review/

Yeah, despite the naysayers, the tent seemed to do well for this guy on the CDT which has worse weather than the AT or PCT.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Brad, that link is to the review of a different tent altogether.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

Different tent, same fabric. It shows the fabric can hold up to a thru-hike with some weather.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Brad, that link is to the review of a different tent altogether.

I know that. But Henry S and others were condemning the fabric weights. Seems to me a 3,100 mile walk the length of the US Rockies is a real-world test.

Am I missing something?

Philip Werner
    BPL Member

@earlylite

Locale: White Mountain National Forest

He used it with a polycryo footprint so it’s not exactly a test of the fabric.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

He used it with a polycryo footprint so it’s not exactly a test of the fabric.

Nonsense.

The comment was made about the fly material : “Yes, 7d and 1200mm pressure rating. Have fun with that in the real world.”

If 3,100 miles up the spine of the Rockies isn’t “the real world” I don’t know what is.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

I haven’t been able to find out definitively what the floor material is on the Scout Platinum 1. Thought I read somewhere it’s a 15d., maybe not. I searched a bunch of websites, looking for a materials breakdown, but to no avail. It’s not the 7d 1200 mm fly that would concern me as much as a 7d floor.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I use polycryo for a ground cloth no matter what.

so, the fly is weather worthy and the floor will hold up through many months of constant use with a polycryo ground cloth. Hmmmm…

I’ll add my vote against the design of the door. And the tent is cramped. But if all you want is a coffin that keeps you dry through stormy weather at night, this might work. Of course, that’s a lotta long hours in a very cramped space if it comes to that.

many years ago I carried a Walrus one person tent that really was a bivy with poles–even smaller than the Scout. When finally faced with truly stormy weather one morning with no let up in sight, I chose to bail and hike out rather than spend loooong hours in this tent.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

According to Alan Dixon (co-founder of BPL) both the fly and floor are 7d.

https://www.adventurealan.com/big-agnes-tent-carbon-with-dyneema-for-2019/

I don’t know where he got that info from but given he was at the Outdoor Retailer show when the shelter was presented I assume he asked BA.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 35 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools