Topic

Homemade Tarp – Ridgeline Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Homemade Tarp – Ridgeline Question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Brett Warren
    BPL Member

@warren98

I'm planning to make a homemade tarp out of 1.1oz silnylon. I've made a tarp before and just realized that I might be setting up mine somewhat differently that others might be after reading the setup instructions for the Gossamer Gear SpinnTwinn. The way I been pitching my tarp (#2 in the picture) is by stringing a piece of rope between two trekking poles, and essentially draping my tarp over that rope. I then tie the tarp to the trekking poles and stake out the tarp. The instructions for the spinntwin (#1 in the picture) indicate that the ridgeline rope is tied to the tarp itself at both ends, and that the rope is not continuous.
    Tarp Diagram
    I was hoping someone could provide some input as the their method for pitching their tarps. Is it a mixed bag? Do homemade tarp owners prefer one method, and commercial tarps use another? Is one method better than the other? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

David Passey

@davidpassey

Locale: New York City

I use method #1 for both homemade and GG tarps. I don't see how method #2 would work with a catenary tarp.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

#1 by far is the most common for commercial tarps. I've seen #2 recommended when the tarp has no pull outs but it invites problems. I do however remember seeing a commercial tarp that had a rope going through as in #2 but I think it was only using that as a laundry line and had the ridgeline carrying the load.

In #2 when the wind picks up it can easily slide around on the ridgeline rope unless it is somehow attached in one place. Without it being attached I can't help but think that it invites the possibly to wreak havoc with your tarp. I can see it working fine with a heavy canvas tarp but using thin fabrics could cause other issues.

In theory it would possibly allow lighter fabrics due to reduce pull out strain on the tent if one could overcome the problems but the simple chaffing of the rope against the tarp under breeze could produce a failure with thin fabrics.

Tim Marshall
    BPL Member

@marshlaw303

Locale: Minnesota

-edited

I use #1 and it works great. Silnylon stretches some and this pitch keeps it much tighter.

What fabric could be lighter than the cuben fibers people are using pitched #1 style?

#2 is only good for tarps with grommets which aren't very strong and can pull out. Webbing tie outs are strong enough to do #1 with ease

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Brett, on all the tarps I've camped with I have six foot lengths of cord girth hitched to a grosgrain tie-out located on the fabric edge.

On my most current tarp, a homemade spinnaker I still use the same tie-out method but interestingly enough I have a length of cord that runs from the front pole to the back not to hold up the tarp but for use as a clothesline.

Joe Kuster
    BPL Member

@slacklinejoe

Locale: Flatirons

Tim, yes. I have corrected my typo.

Brett Warren
    BPL Member

@warren98

Well I think it's settled then. I will make my next tarp without a continuous rope ridgeline. I would like to comment on my current tarp through. The issue of the tarp sliding around on the ridgeline is not an problem after the tarp is all staked down. I do have a hard time staking the tarp down and keeping the center of the tarp over the ridgeline. I added a few small loops of Velcro that keeps the tarp centered while staking, but they are kind of a pain in the butt.
    tarp

As you can see I made my current tarp with a curved ridgeline (I hesitate to call it a catenary, its more or less just "curvy") and I usually don't have to much of a problem getting a acceptable pitch.

Mike Hinsley

@archnemesis

Locale: England, UK

The way that I've pitched tarps that are suspended from a rope ridgeline is to use a sliding prussik at either end.

This makes it easy to pack and pitch and allows for tensioning in wet weather.

The only difference is that I suspend the tarp from the rope using 3 ties – one at each end and one in the middle.

I move around on this but I think that using a rope to suspend a tarp is probably better than a tarp that is tied by the ends because of fabric sag during wet weather. It seems easier to restore tension when you have a rope.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools